Re: Carlos Donizete Froes: Advocate

Em dom, 1 de set de 2019 às 06:15, Carlos Donizete Froes
<coringao@riseup.net> escreveu:

> Hi Eriberto
>
> > I regret to say that I strongly disagree.
>
> I'm sorry, but I'll try to reverse this disagreement.
>
> > I personally know Carlos Donizete Froes since 2016. I did the first
> > review of the first package from him. After this, the package was
> > uploaded by other DD. I decided to reject new reviews for his packages
> > because I had other people to sponsor and the packages sent by Carlos had
> > several issues. However, Carlos opened multiple RFS across the time
> > (using the sponsorship-requests pseudo-package) and I noticed that some
> > sponsors tried help him but after some time give up.
>
> 2016 was the year I decided to package new games for Debian, where I was
> delighted with its packaging workshop.
>
> There was a game emulator (osmose-emulator) where you wanted to pack, but
> unfortunately you rejected it because of incorrect copyright.
>
> So much so that I solved this problem and the other DD that accepted my first
> package was "Antonio Terceiro", who even indicated joining the "Debian Games
> Team" where this will help me improve the future games that I will package.
>
> I had a great advance adding new games in Debian:
>
> +2 packages in Debian Stretch (osmose-emulator and runescape);
> +3 packages in Debian Buster (pokemmo-installer, JAG and blastem);
> +1 package in Debian Bullseye (pekka-kana-2).
>
> And I'm always updating and making improvements to these packages.
>
> > My last technical contact with Carlos was in DebConf 19, when I organized
> > a 3-day Packaging Workshop. Carlos attended from the second day. I
> > sponsored packages (QA uploads) from people. I noticed several
> > difficulties from Carlos to update a simple package (fondu). The package
> > returned sometimes to be remade. I also noticed that Carlos doesn't
> > understand how to a Makefile works and he told me that autopkgtest is a
> > subject very hard for him, so he asked me to not use it in this package.
>
> I admire and congratulate your packaging workshop, so much so that in those four
> years I went to MiniDebConf and DebConf, where I spent my days of the week and
> away from my family and work to learn how to improve packaging and even learn
> about "autopkgtest" with you. I apologize if I left you as a sloppy fellow. I am
> a person who listens more, talks less and works hard to learn new things.
>
> > Sorry to say it, but I have no doubts that Carlos, currently, have no
> > skills to work with their own packages unsupervised.
>
> I do not agree with this, because who can say, it is the sponsors who
> accompanied my development with the packages I have in Debian. I don't think
> it's fair that a single (fondu) package thinks I don't have the skills to
> continue my work with packages that are in Debian, where you have never reviewed
> them.
>
> > Finally, I would like to remember that recently Carlos joined the NM to
> > ask to become DD upload and the results were catastrophic. See here[1].
> [...]

About your message above, I disagree with several points, starting by
"love" word. Love is a very good reason to maintain packages, but not the
only condition to become a DM.

You said "I do not agree with this, because who can say, it is the
sponsors who accompanied my development with the packages I have in
Debian." Now you have 8 packages and 2 QA works. Searching in all tracker
pages linked to you, I can count 45 uploads of which 4 were made by your
advocate. You already had 9 sponsors up to now and, recently,  I was one
of them. So, I think I can say anything.

In DebConf 19, to answer to a question from a student, I quoted in the
workshop that "packages are made orphan by several reasons". So, I quoted
the game Assault Cube, saying that it is a very hard to maintain.
Immediately you were shown interested in maintaining it. After DebConf, I
saw your RFS for Assault Cube (revision 1.2.0.2.1-1, already uploaded to
Debian). I decided to see the package to try upload it. I was confused
because the package nor had "QA upload" line and wasn't closing the bug
#728193 and the maintainer was Debian Games Team. I needed some minutes
to investigate and, after this, I gave up to review the package. Today,
the package is in your name as uploader (Games Team is the maintainer),
but with an ITA from you, since Jul. 29 and several comments in your
RFS's for this package (you didn't closed the ITA in 1.2.0.2.1-1 and
don't clarified the sittuation in your changelog, about adopting, keeping
orphan, etc.).

You said "I don't think it's fair that a single (fondu) package thinks I
don't have the skills to continue my work with packages that are in
Debian, where you have never reviewed them." 1) I never said "you can't
work with packages in Debian". I said "IMO you can't be DM for now",
because you need to improve your skills. 2) I already reviewed your
packages in Debian and a very recent upload was made by me". 3) fondu is
a very simple package and I can use it to check if you have skills or
not. Reading your recent RFS and the comments from other people also will
help know your abilities.

I have all packages uploaded in DebConf in my machine (around 25
packages) and I would like to tell about fondu. You used around 6 hours
(or more), in two days, working over this package[1] to make a simple
update.  I remember that you asked me about some trivial issues in
packaging. I told to you about a possible override (debian/rules) to
solve a particular problem. After 2 hours trying you said me solved the
problem using other way and show me a file renamed by you from
debian/install to debian/install.links. I told you this file was
impossible in packaging. So I told you the final solution, after a check
in package. You fixed the problem, but forgot to change the changelog '*
Renamed file "debian/install" to "debian/install.links".'. I asked to
change it and some other inconsistent things. You sent the fondu for me 3
times, after my comments about the package is not ready for upload. The
dates are: 2019-07-19 22:05 -0300, 2019-07-20 18:43 -0300 and 2019-07-20
23:58 -0300.

[1] The workshop was made, officially, in 3 days, during the first week
of DebConf19. However, I was available all days in a room (B204 at day
and Antonina, in hotel, at night) and several people that was students in
workshop attended this room daily to make QA uploads.

I would like to see one more Brazilian as DM (I am Brazilian too), but it
is not possible now.

Conclusion: I worked recently with Carlos and I need to be honest with
Debian Project and keep my opinion: I disagree with his candidature to
become a DM. I am sure that he has several difficulties to maintain his
own packages (see also all RFS's comments to confirm it).