Re: Andrea Bolognani: Declaration of intent

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:38:47PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Andrea Bolognani dijo [Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 09:45:55PM -0000]:
> > I hereby declare my intent to become a Debian Maintainer.
> >
> > It's been a long time coming, too: my first upload to Debian was all
> > the way back in 2006!
[...]
> I don't directly know your work, and I'm not advocating for you.
>
> However, I think you should consider this: If you have been an active
> Debian contributor for 12 years, even if it is via sponsored uploads,
> I believe you will find no opposition if you go straight for the DD
> status.
>
> Up to you to decide. Becoming a DM is simple and quick, and requires
> much less hassle than becoming a DD (for very important trust
> reasons). But I believe throughout this time you have surely material
> to show to the project you "really mean it" :-]

My sponsor's argument for going for DM at first rather than straight
for DD was that, though I have been contributing to Debian for a long
time, most of my work has been done in isolation and doesn't reach
outside the comfort zone of the few packages I've been maintaining
over the years.

In particular, I would probably not be able to line up more than one
Advocate since I've been working with Niels exclusively for the past
several years, and asking someone who's sponsored a few uploads 6+
years ago for advocacy would be reaching quite a bit.

So the plan is to get DM now, then come back for DD after my
involvement in Debian has broadened further.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>