Ross Gammon: Application Manager report

For nm.debian.org, at 2017-07-12:
After looking at Ross Gammon <rossgammon@mail.dk>'s contributions and
after exchanging some emails to get to know him a bit better, I agree with
the advocates that Ross can and should indeed be a Debian Developer, with
full upload rights, right now.

# Ross Gamon's bio

I am a Railway Engineer. I was born in Australia, moved to the UK for
work, and then to Denmark where I now live. My studies focussed mainly
on electronics, microprocessors and communication technology (IT).

Before I started work, I did a lot of tinkering with computers. First on
my Z80 based VZ200, and eventually on a Commodore Amiga 1000 which was
the first computer I bought with my own money.

Like a lot of other people (I think), my work pushed me towards the IBM
compatible & Windows world, and I eventually stopped tinkering. In 2010,
when I moved to Denmark, I took the opportunity start afresh with my
computer setup. I had previously experimented with a BSD variant as a
server with little success. This time I decided to investigate Linux, as
I had heard good things about it. First I installed Sabayon (I think),
and then tried Debian Squeeze, Fedora & Ubuntu. What a relief - I could
tinker again!

After a couple of years using Ubuntu, I started to feel guilty about
using such a great product without paying for it. I decided to start
trying to contribute back. At the time, I was researching my family
history and had converted all my family trees to Gramps. I started
trying to help out with triaging bugs in Gramps (in Launchpad) and found
out that I really needed to work with Debian (which was the source) in
the BTS. Later, when I released that the Gramps maintainer in Debian
seemed to be MIA, I decided to try and adopt the package. Since then, I
have also tried to step in when dependencies of Gramps needed work. That
meant joining the Debian GIS Team first. Then helping out there with
other packages (and their dependencies), has meant that I have spread my
wings out to other teams (e.g. Debian Javascript Team & Debian Python
Modules Team).

I am also the Test Team Lead at the moment in Ubuntu Studio, as I have a
history of trying to play music (these days very badly). As most of the
Ubuntu Studio seeded packages come from the Debian Multimedia Team, this
is probably where I should be focussing my efforts. But the numerous,
fast moving, node-* packages keep me pretty busy.

The Free Software ecosystem & philosophy is such a relief to me. It is
so great to help out with fixing bugs and distributing those fixes out
to end users. Being able to see the source code, and speak directly with
the upstream developers, and get help from so many willing and
knowledgable people in the community is wonderful!

Santiago Ruano Rincón (via nm.debian.org)
--
https://nm.debian.org/process/192