Report for 'Debian Developer, uploading' applicant Gustavo Panizzo
I recommend to accept Gustavo Panizzo as a new Debian Developer, uploading.
The account name is gfa.
* Applicant background
I started with GNU/Linux in the year 2000, after I read about it on a local newspaper. I liked it was something made by a community of people instead of a company. I tried many distributions back then, but eventually settle in Gentoo.
I got my first sysadmin job in 2005, in that place everything was running Debian, after using it for some months I start to love the quality of Debian, everything just worked all the time.
I left that job and worked for some time supporting proprietary software, it wasn't a good experience and I move to work with Linux as soon as possible. I never stop to run Debian on my personal systems.
After a few years of using Debian, report bugs, etc. I got an sponsor and uploaded my first package. That was 5 years ago.
I contribute to Debian for several reasons:
- I want to improve things I use. This is a selfish but powerful reason.
- I want to 'give back' to the community. Even if I never contribute back as much as I get from the Free Software.
- I want to make a better world, I know the world needs many things besides software, but doing Free Software is what I know and enjoy.
- It thrills me be part of something bigger.
- I choose Debian instead of another project cause its commitment with democracy, do-cracy and transparency.
I would like to setup a review system for packaging, gerrit like, many times I wish to have a review of what I do, just to be extra sure everything is perfect, also I think it will help more people to improve Debian if our packaging is public and easy to interact with.
I do OpenStack, I maintain a few packages for it, also being a sysadmin I would like to help the DSA team with that.
I helped a guy to upload his first package, I feel that the word mentor is too big compared to what I did for him, but anyway it felt great. I plan to do more of that.