AM report for Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo

I recommend to accept Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo as a Debian Developer.

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Manuel
   Middle name:     -
   Last name:       A. Fernandez Montecelo
   Key fingerprint: 2A8E80505C486298430DD0937F7606A445DCA80E
   Account:         mafm

2. Background
-------------

I am 32, male, living in different parts of Europe during my life.  I started
being interested in computers in 1995/6, luckily I got one and started to play
around, and quickly became interested in programming and learning/tinkering
with computers in general.

I heard about GNU/Linux in 1997/8 and when I got a CD from a magazine I managed
to get it installed in my machine using a ridiculous amount of floppy disks,
with some of them failing and having to be rewritten/replaced.  After trying a
few distributions in a short period of time, I discovered Debian with Hamm or
Slink (1998/9) and settled on it never to move again.  Occasionally I tried
Ubuntu and other Unix Systems, and had to use RedHat-based systems at
different jobs, but they have never been my system of choice.  I went on to
study Computer Engineering and have been making a living out of it for quite a
few years by now.

Since the beginning, I was very keen on the philosophy and fundamentals of the
free software movement.  I participated in many projects (not all them directly
related to producing software) where there were Debian fans (or even developers)
around.  So for me, the world of computing and Debian are so intertwined that
is kind of unconceivable to think in one and not in the other.  Also, both
computing and free software (including Debian directly) have an amazing
influence on free culture and other movements, and on support for scientific
institutions around the world.

I started to contribute back quite early (~1999), translating docs from the
by-then famous Linux Documentation Project, also some software, producing
articles, participating in conferences and promoting free software in
general.  Despite my interest in programming, I didn't participate in important
(high-profile) projects until relatively late (~2005), and even after that not
very much or not very consistently, because things in life kept me occupied and
without much free time for many years.

By the end of 2009 I had free time in my hands again, and offered to help to
co-maintain OpenSceneGraph, being my first important contribution to Debian.  I
liked the experience and started to be interested in maintaining Aqsis and K-3D,
so I applied to be Debian Developer (the maintainer was not active), but I
got rejected because of lack of records in contributing to Debian, and was told
to apply to DM instead.  A while after that I did (mid 2010), and started to
gradually take care of more packages (including the ones above, OGRE,
Flare, and recently SDL-packages as part of SDL-Team with lots of activity,
and a bit of help reviving Aptitude).  I also started to take care of some
occasional bug squashing and revisiting of old or orphan bugs, either in
packages that I became involved with (SDL) or others that I happened to stumble
by chance.

Recently I also participated in a BSP in Cambridge (UK) meeting a few Debian
folks, and that and by meeting people in my new job I got signatures for my
new key, and decided to apply again to become a Debian Developer.  Most of the
time is OK to have only Maintainer powers, but it's not good when it comes to
fixes and NMUing [semi-]abandoned packages, or with some packages with frequent
upstream releases when libraries' SONAMEs change all of the time (as some
of the ones that I maintain).  Being Developer also helps to sign keys of
people inteding to become contributors, a problem that I had in the area where
I lived before (and to which I return frequently).

--
Jonathan Wiltshire                                      jmw@debian.org
Debian Developer                         http://people.debian.org/~jmw

4096R: 0xD3524C51 / 0A55 B7C5 1223 3942 86EC  74C3 5394 479D D352 4C51

<directhex> i have six years of solaris sysadmin experience, from
            8->10. i am well qualified to say it is made from bonghits
			layered on top of bonghits