Re: Advocating Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@softwarelivre.org>

On 22/02/11 at 06:35 +0000, NM Front Desk wrote:
> Auth-Key: nmauth45ce94b15a8386d4f7c5b216a8e98913
> Applicant: Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@softwarelivre.org>
>
> Why do you advocate this person? (please provide a 5-10 line summary).

Hi,

I've worked with Antonio in the context of the pkg-ruby-extras team,
that packages Ruby libraries and applications.

I was actually quite surprised to discover that Antonio was not a DD
yet, and I feel very guilty for not pushing him to apply earlier (even
more after doing the background research that resulted in this mail).

His first contribution to the team that I could trace was made in ...
2005!  It's only the first one I could trace because he actually made
the first 20 commits to the team's SVN repository[1], which means that
he has been around for longer than most other active members of the
team (including me).

It is a pleasure to work with Antonio. He is always nice to others. He
is very quick to help other members of the team with their packages. We
have a lack of DDs to sponsor uploads in the team, and lately, he
started doing reviews of RFS, so that the problems would be fixed before
a DD would look at a package.

Recently, we started working on gem2deb[2], a dh7-based packaging helper
that is intended to replace our current cdbs-based tool. Antonio made
numerous contributions to the tool that demonstrate his excellent
understanding of Debian packaging (and his mastering of Ruby
programming, too). He also helped leading the discussions about the
change by tracking the decisions in a wiki page[3].

All in all, the fact that Antonio isn't a DD yet is a serious bug that
should be fixed, and I'm 100% confident that he will bring great stuff
to Debian.

[1] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/pkg-ruby-extras?view=rev&revision=1
[2] https://github.com/terceiro/gem2deb
[3] http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Ruby/RubyInWheezy