AM report for Thorsten Alteholz

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Thorsten
   Middle name:
   Last name:       Alteholz
   Key fingerprint: 36E2 EDDE C21F EC8F 77B8  7436 D362 B62A 54B9 9890
   Account:         alteholz
   Forward email:   debian@alteholz.de

   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

   gpg: requesting key 54B99890 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
   pub   1024D/54B99890 2008-07-23
         Key fingerprint = 36E2 EDDE C21F EC8F 77B8  7436 D362 B62A 54B9 9890
   uid                  Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de>
   sig!         30825345 2009-09-12  Erik Schanze <schanzi_@gmx.de>
   sig!         8E635A5E 2009-09-29  Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
   sig!3        54B99890 2008-07-23  Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de>
   sub   4096g/622D94A8 2008-07-23
   sig!         54B99890 2008-07-23  Thorsten Alteholz <debian@alteholz.de>

   1 signature not checked due to a missing key
   Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
   Key has only 1024 bits.  This is not acceptable if the application
   was started after October 1st, 2010 (see [KM] for details).
   [KM] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/09/msg00003.html
   This is an DSA key.  This might need an explanation (see [KM] for details).
   [KM] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/09/msg00003.html
   Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
   Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

   Thorsten is already a DM, and has a guest account for porterbox access, with
   his desired username. He intends to migrate to a stronger GPG key, although
   he hasn't begun this yet.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:

   I am a 44 years old software developer living in Chemnitz, Germany.
   In 1993 I was tired of toying with my Atari ST and decided to buy
   something with an Intel processor. The most popular Linux
   distribution at that time had been Slackware. As my Atari was only
   connected by UUCP to the network, my former boss sponsored 50 floppy
   disks and I could start.  Unfortunatley at some point updating to new
   releases became more and more time consuming. So I switched to other
   major distributions. At that time all of them sonner or later
   revealed some kind of frustrating bug that made me switch again.
   Finally I came to Debian. Although the installer at that time was
   sheer torment I struggled through all hurdles and got a really usable
   system with no frustrating flaw.
   Afterwards I installed Debian on every computer I could get my hands
   on.  Based on my positive experience I wanted to give back something
   to the community. In 2008 I started with translations via ddtp and
   later took care of orphaned packages. Most of them belong to section
   science or tex.  Since Dec 2009 I am a DM and now want to take the
   plunge and become a DD.  In the future I intend to intensify my work
   for debian-med and try to increase the available software for
   biological and medical research.  If there is still some time, I
   would also like to get involved in working on the Debian
   infrastructure.

2a. Advocate writes (included as the advocation wasn't public)
   From: Steffen Möller <moeller@debian.org>

   Thorsten joined us a couple of months ago as a Debian Maintainer
   to help with the packaging of biological software with Debian Med.
   http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian%40alteholz.de&comaint=yes

   Thorsten's technical understanding is excellent. He grasps new
   concepts very quickly and plays with them easily, no much words
   needed. So, working with him is very rewarding.

   His interactions with peer Debianers and upstream was always very
   much to the point, constructive and friendly. Tried brainstorming
   with him and explicit problem solving, and the combination of both;
   it has always been fun.

   Get him in.

   Steffen

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Thorsten has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Thorsten committed to uphold the SC
   and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

   (anibal), as well as Steffen Möller (moeller), Andreas Tille
   (tille), Erik Schanze (erics), and Julien Danjou (acid).

   All packages are in good shape. In the process of my review, a few RC
   issues were fixed, and I'm confident that the remaining issues will
   be, soon.
   Thorsten also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Thorsten as a Debian Developer.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/