Re: [rant] Why not using the BTS instead of RT ?

On 10/31/2011 02:20 AM, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 09:46:24AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote
>> I was just wondering… why isn't the BTS used anymore to manage DM
>> applications ?  The Debian RT's front page is completely unhelpful and
>> to my impression it gives the following message:  « not your
>> business ».
> My understanding is that the BTS is still used for the initial phases of
> DM applications, and RT is only used for the request to add the DM key
> to the keyring to keyring-maint.
>
> keyring-maint use RT because we sometimes have a need to deal with
> information before it becomes public (eg a compromised key) and it is
> much easier for us to have one system that we always use, rather than
> special casing some things.
>
> We try to move things that don't need embargoed to the public "Keyring"
> queue swiftly, but unfortunately the read-only public access login to RT
> is no longer available so this is unhelpful to anyone who isn't a DD.
> You'd have to ask the RT team about reversing that decision.
I do not think this is too bad. It is certainly better than a personal
email sent to the keyring maintainer. I just wished (and I think this
is the root of Charles' uttermost polite rant) there was a public
variant of it, just like the NM status reports on
https://nm.debian.org/nmlist.php

Cheers,

Steffen