Re: DM application of Laszlo Kajan

On 10/01/2011 10:19 PM, Laszlo Kajan wrote:
> This is my declaration of intent to become a Debian Maintainer <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
And this is my declaration that I fully support Laszlo on his way to become a DM and with some certainy also a DD. Laszlo had
already prepared a series of packages in a good way when I approached him to get those offered for Debian and the scientific
community at large. We met at a conference, keys signed, and off he went. The list of packages below speaks for itself a bit.

His few months of Debian-related activities have already helped to transform a couple of external non-free packages to free ones
through his friendly communication. This is good for everyone. And it seems like there is more to come.

Having him around helps Debian Med a lot on the interface between protein structures and sequence analysis. Generally speaking,
one gets DNA sequences easily (like from new outbreaks), from which one can infer the protein sequences, but to get to the
biochemical interpretation of those one needs structural insights. Laszlo's group employs a series of machine learning techniques
(Neural Networks I recall) to abstractly represent heuristics to get from sequences towards a structural interpretation.

So, please accept Laszlo as a DM.

Thank you

Steffen