AM report for Chow Loong Jin

1. Identification & Account Data
- --------------------------------
   First name:      Loong Jin
   Middle name:
   Last name:       Chow
   Key fingerprint: 12E0 D09D FB3F F7F7 59D3  6ED0 FBD5 225B 5887 52A1
   Account:         hyperair
   Forward email:   hyperair@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 1 existing developers:

pub   4096R/588752A1 2011-02-28
      Key fingerprint = 12E0 D09D FB3F F7F7 59D3  6ED0 FBD5 225B 5887 52A1
uid                  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com>
sig!         70096AD1 2011-03-30  Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org>
sig!3        588752A1 2011-02-28  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com>
uid                  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@gmail.com>
uid                  Chow Loong Jin <chow0082@ntu.edu.sg>
uid                  Chow Loong Jin <chow0082@e.ntu.edu.sg>
sig!         70096AD1 2011-03-30  Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org>
sig!3        588752A1 2011-02-28  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com>
uid                  Chow Loong Jin <loongjin@solution-space.com>
sig!3        588752A1 2011-05-25  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com>
sub   4096R/C56814C9 2011-02-28
sig!         588752A1 2011-02-28  Chow Loong Jin <hyperair@ubuntu.com>

12 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
Key has 4096 bits.
Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
- -------------
   Applicant writes:

My full name is Chow Loong Jin, where "Chow" is my surname and "Loong Jin" is my given name (I don't really like the first/last name distinction, as this is pretty inaccurate in terms of my name).

I am a Malaysian student studying Computer Engineering at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.

I actually started off as a Windows user, up to the point where I began testing the beta release of Windows Vista. I rather fancied the idea of having multiple virtual desktops, so I began looking into Compiz, which made its debut at around that time. I was also dabbling into web development at that point in time, so I figured it might be nice to try switching over to Linux, since many scripting languages I was looking into at that time (Perl, PHP, Ruby) seemed to have Linux as their native platform. After creating a thread on the WebDesignForums (http://www.webdesignforums.net) asking for a recommendation of a good Linux distribution to begin with, I came across Ubuntu, and have been using it on my desktops and notebook since. (I do use Debian on all of the server installations I make/maintain, though).

I'm currently volunteering my time to Debian because I find it an enjoyable experience to maintain Debian packages, and also because it gives me a sense of pride. Aside from that, I don't really like installing things from source, and tend to create binary packages for anything I'd like to install on my system. It only makes sense to release the work I've done to the Debian archives after that.

My primary area of interest in Debian is package maintenance, which I have been doing for a number of packages (as seen in (http://qa.debian.org/maintainer.php?developer=hyperair@ubuntu.com).

    Google says:

Lots of people happy with his work in Ubuntu:

http://behindmotu.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/chow-loong-jin-hyperair/
https://launchpad.net/~hyperair

Lots of helpful responses on the banshee-list, e.g.:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/banshee-list/2011-August/thread.html

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Chow Loong Jin has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all the questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Chow Loong Jin committed to uphold the
   SC and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
Chow Loong Jin has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.

Chow Loong Jin is on the Debian CLI Applications Team, where he has maintained banshee (sponsored by Iain Lane). He also maintains libgpod (sponsored Iain Lane).

All packages are in good shape. He maintains complex packages, and packages in diverse languages.

Chow Loong Jin also answered Christoph Egger's questions regarding T&S without problems. His work in Debian speaks for itself (and anyone can find out about it using the minechangelogs tool).

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Chow Loong Jin as a Debian Developer.