on the "M" of "NM"

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 06:46:26PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Dear Developers, I'm pleased to announce that the NM Front Desk has a
> new member

While preparing the delegation text, I couldn't help thinking again at
the "M" of the "NM" and at the recurring problem that "Maintainer" is no
longer appropriate after the recent membership GR.  Considering that:

- "maintainer" is no longer appropriate
- moving away from "NM" / "NM Process" would be very difficult at this
  point
- "non-uploading DD" has, unfortunately, a negative connotation we
  should try to avoid wherever possible
- the Constitution uses interchangeably "Developer" and "Project Member"

what do you think of retaining the "NM" acronym but changing its
expansion to "New [Debian Project] Member" on nm.d.o and in the rest of
the official documentation for applying?

It will be a cheap thing to do --- or at least I hope so, although I
cannot volunteer to do that myself --- but will send the right message
and at the same time get rid of a potential source of unclarity among NM
(for "members"!)  applicants.

Submitted to your consideration,
Cheers.