AM report for Kamal Mostafa

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Kamal
   Last name:       Mostafa
   Key fingerprint: 73EE 9226 58C2 E073 40EA  9613 E7F7 1055 5409 E422
   Account:         kamal
   Forward email:   kamal@whence.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 5 existing developers.
   Output from keycheck.sh:

$ ./keycheck.sh 73EE922658C2E07340EA9613E7F710555409E422
gpg: requesting key 5409E422 from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
pub   4096R/5409E422 2010-03-28
      Key fingerprint = 73EE 9226 58C2 E073 40EA  9613 E7F7 1055 5409 E422
uid                  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
sig!         F2C423BC 2010-05-19  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
sig!         01AA4A64 2010-10-28  Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com>
sig!         C095D941 2010-09-22  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!2        3EFB79EF 2010-04-03  Andrew Pollock <me@andrew.net.au>
sig!3        26B47B9F 2010-11-02  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
sig!3        5409E422 2010-03-28  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
uid                  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@canonical.com>
uid                  Kamal Mostafa <kamal.mostafa@canonical.com>
sig!         F2C423BC 2010-05-19  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
sig!         01AA4A64 2010-10-28  Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@canonical.com>
sig!         C095D941 2010-09-22  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!2        3EFB79EF 2010-04-03  Andrew Pollock <me@andrew.net.au>
sig!3        26B47B9F 2010-11-02  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
sig!3        5409E422 2010-03-28  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
uid                  [jpeg image of size 4526]
sig!         26B47B9F 2010-11-02  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
sig!         C095D941 2010-09-22  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!3        5409E422 2010-03-28  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
sub   4096R/9807A936 2010-03-28
sig!         5409E422 2010-03-28  Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>

100 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
Key has 4096 bits.
Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:
   (paragraphs copied from our conversation; full log will be
   available to FrontDesk)

I first became motivated to get involved with Debian in 2009, through
my involvement with Ubuntu (I have since become employed by
Canonical).  Part of the process of fixing bugs in Ubuntu is to report
the bug and send the patch upstream -- usually up to Debian and/or
beyond -- so I quickly learned that fixing Debian bugs directly was
the fast track to fixing Ubuntu bugs.  When I then discovered that
some of my own favorite ham radio packages were in need of maintenance
at Debian, I was eager to get more involved and help out.

Since then though, I've come to appreciate Debian not just as a path
to helping Ubuntu, but for its own sake.  Debian provides an
incredibly valuable resource to the world, and I will be proud to be
included in the ranks of its developers.
  (...)
My efforts at Debian are indeed focused on the two ham radio packages
that I've adopted.  I am considering adopting more of the ham packages
that were orphaned when Joop Stakenborg retired last year.  Ham radio
is my hobby and I have become quite involved with the Debian and
Ubuntu ham radio groups.
  (...)
I am employed by Canonical as a "Hardware Enablement Engineer" on the
Ubuntu kernel team.  I focus on machine-specific quirks like
dysfunctional volume or brightness keys on particular laptop models,
graphics issues for certain models, suspend/resume hangs and other
BIOS-related problems.  I investigate and resolve such issues for
Ubuntu community users and Canonical customers, and contribute patches
upstream to various Linux maintainers.

   Google says:

I have to admit that, due to Kamal having many pseudonyms, I have
mainly restricted my report either to sources he controls (such as his
personal homepage) or that he already mentioned (such as Canonical's
Launchpad - His "real" job is at Canonical).

Kamal's curriculum shows a very long history of professional
involvement in Unix development, dating back to the 1989 SCO:

  http://www.whence.com/kamal/Kamal-Mostafa-resume.html

Given his "real" job is at Canonical, it is natural -but still
impressive- to have this very active Launchpad page:

  https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa

I have to note that, as I specifically asked Kamal whether he planned
to get involved with the kernel development/hardware support areas in
Debian (given it is his work area in Canonical), he answered he would
keep that as his "day job", and keep his Debian work on other areas,
for a good balance.

I checked on his Debian bug reports:

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?correspondent=kamal@whence.com

The bugs I read were well reported, and mostly included patches.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
   Kamal has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.