AM report for David Bremner <david@tethera.net>

1. Identification & Account Data
- --------------------------------
   First name:      David
   Last name:       Bremner
   Key fingerprint: 815B 6398 2A79 F8E7 C727  86C4 762B 57BB 7842 06AD
   Account:         bremner
   Forward email:   david@tethera.net

   ID check passed, key signed by 12 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

        Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
        Receiving and checking key
        gpg: requesting key 784206AD from hkp server keys.gnupg.net
        gpg: NOTE: signature key 38BBA9B7 expired Sat 04 Sep 2010 13:12:02 CEST
        pub   4096R/784206AD 2009-05-30
              Key fingerprint = 815B 6398 2A79 F8E7 C727  86C4 762B 57BB 7842 06AD
        uid                  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sig!         F2C423BC 2010-08-18  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
        sig!         E0BA04C1 2010-08-11  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
        sig!         974B3E96 2010-08-06  tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org>
        sig!         C1A00121 2010-08-07  Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
        sig!         B63480BE 2010-08-08  Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in>
        sig!         49E3ACD3 2010-08-10  Chris Butler <chrisb@crustynet.org.uk>
        sig!         290DB9CE 2010-08-10  Varun Hiremath <varun@debian.org>
        sig!         63E4E277 2010-08-11  Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net>
        sig!         8649AA06 2010-08-15  gregor herrmann <gregor.herrmann@comodo.priv.at>
        sig!         947897D8 2010-08-19  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
        sig!         E397832F 2010-10-10  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
        sig!3        0ED6122A 2010-09-21  Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org>
        sig!3        784206AD 2010-07-10  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sig!3        784206AD 2009-08-29  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        uid                  David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>
        sig!         F2C423BC 2010-08-18  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
        sig!         0B2713C8 2009-09-26  Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
        sig!         E0BA04C1 2010-08-11  Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
        sig!         974B3E96 2010-08-06  tony mancill <tmancill@debian.org>
        sig!         C1A00121 2010-08-07  Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
        sig!         B63480BE 2010-08-08  Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in>
        sig!         49E3ACD3 2010-08-10  Chris Butler <chrisb@crustynet.org.uk>
        sig!         290DB9CE 2010-08-10  Varun Hiremath <varun@debian.org>
        sig!         63E4E277 2010-08-11  Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@familiasanchez.net>
        sig!         8649AA06 2010-08-15  gregor herrmann <gregor.herrmann@comodo.priv.at>
        sig!         947897D8 2010-08-19  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
        sig!         E397832F 2010-10-10  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
        sig!3        0ED6122A 2010-09-21  Serafeim Zanikolas <sez@debian.org>
        sig!3        784206AD 2009-05-30  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sig!3        784206AD 2010-07-10  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sub   1024R/38BBA9B7 2009-09-04 [expired: 2010-09-04]
        sig!         784206AD 2009-09-04  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sub   1024R/AB01188B 2009-05-30 [expires: 2011-07-08]
        sig!         784206AD 2010-07-08  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sub   1024R/AC916F45 2009-05-30 [revoked: 2010-07-10]
        rev!         784206AD 2010-07-10  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sig!         784206AD 2010-07-08  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sub   1024R/7BD0B401 2009-05-30 [expires: 2011-07-08]
        sig!         784206AD 2010-07-08  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>
        sub   1024R/4526F399 2010-07-10 [expires: 2012-07-09]
        sig!         784206AD 2010-07-10  David Bremner <david@tethera.net>

        22 signatures not checked due to missing keys
        Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
        Check for key expire stuff
        Valid "e" flag on key 0x762B57BB784206AD, expires Fri 08 Jul 2011 04:37:23 CEST, OK!
        Valid "s" flag on key 0x762B57BB784206AD, no expiration

2. Background
- -------------
   Applicant writes:
        1 About Me
        ~~~~~~~~~~~

        I was born while the Beatles were still recording. I graduated from
        university three times between the two Star Wars trilogies.  These
        days I'm a professor of computer science at the University of New
        Brunswick in Fredericton, a small city in eastern Canada.  My research
        is about geometric algorithms and optimization (the "best solution to
        a mathematical model" kind, not the -O3 -funroll-loops kind).  I teach
        courses on algorithms, programming, and programming languages; lately
        C, Java, Haskell and Oz.  When I can tear myself away from a keyboard,
        I've been known to be an amateur photographer and a scuba diver, but
        mostly I just walk my dog and go to the odd live music show by a band
        I've never heard of.

        2 How I came to GNU/Linux and free software

        I think I'm not alone among people involved with free software in
        having a weakness for "yak-shaving": spending longer to develop a tool
        to solve a problem than it would take to solve the problem
        directly. The impulse to share is a way for all of this yak-shaving to
        make sense.  So the short version of how I came to Debian GNU/Linux
        and free software is that I spend too much time enhancing my computing
        environment.

        My "computing life" started in the mid eighties on Multics. Although
        hardly (at the time) free software, it did get me started using Emacs,
        which caused me to set a university wide record for "CPU money" used.
        I resisted using TeX for a few years, ranting about how this should
        all be possible with a WYSIWYG interface (we've all met people like
        this).  Then I learned how to use it, and from then on my definition
        of an operating system has mostly been "something to run Emacs and
        TeX".  I used VAX/VMS for work for a few years, but cost (at the time,
        it didn't seem all that weird) kept that from being a serious
        possibility for a personal system.  The first free operating system
        that I really used was 386BSD and then FreeBSD starting in
        1992-1993. I can remember making "offsite backups" of the install
        floppies in case the lawsuit went the wrong way.  By the time I
        switched completely to Debian in 2005, I was maintaining FreeBSD ports
        (roughly analogous to Debian source packages) for nauty, hashcash,
        Ipe, lam, and Text::BibTeX.

        So why the switch? Sometime in the late 90's I became interested in
        high performance computation, and although it was possible to run
        clusters of FreeBSD machines (I ran a 16 node FreeBSD/Alpha for a
        bit), it was definitely less supported by the HPC community. The final
        straw was when FreeBSD dropped full support for Alpha.  At this point
        I needed to choose a Linux distribution, and although I'm sure the
        idea will displease some, I chose Debian because it seemed the most
        like FreeBSD.  In particular, it had (almost) the breadth of packages,
        and it paid attention to details of user experience. In particular, it
        had manpages for everything. So yes, I became a Debian GNU/Linux user
        because it supported niche architectures longer, and because it had
        the best man pages. And of course, most of what I needed for for my
        work was already packaged.

        By now the use of Debian is pretty integrated into my teaching and
        research work.  For example my first act when investigating a new
        programming languages text was to make sure this language Oz I'd never
        heard of was in Debian.

        Over the years I have been a conscientious reporter of bugs to various
        open source projects, and made a one or two small contributions to the
        Emacs code base, but most of my non-trivial contributions have been to
        pretty specialized mathematical software, either as upstream or
        providing new features and bug fixes.  Lately I have contributed a few
        plugins to ikiwiki and been working away on the notmuch mail client.
        A typical sort of Emacs hack I've worked on is linking from org-mode
        TODO lists into notmuch mail messages.

        3 Contributions I have made to Debian
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        3.1 Packaging
        ==============
        I maintain several packages useful for academic writing and teaching.
        At the moment I have Debian-Maintainer upload rights for sketch,
        bibutils and highlight.  The first two I introduced to the archive,
        the third I more or less adopted.  I maintain latexdiff under the
        umbrella of the Debian Perl team.

        I also maintain a few more specialized packages to do with
        mathematical computing.  I am in the process of packaging polymake,
        and have packaged dependencies lrslib and nauty.  Unfortunately, just
        when I thought I was done, I discovered that included copies of
        libraries had ABI/API changing patches to them, so I'm now working on
        getting some of those changes upstream.

        I co-maintain (well, I'm an uploader) for 7 perl modules with the
        Debian perl team, mostly inspired (from my point of view) by Ikiwiki
        plugins.

        Even though I don't use Evolution (or Gnome) at all, I am using
        Syncevolution to synchronize various contacts databases (including
        Emacs and and my phone).

        3.2 Working with upstream
        ==========================

        For the most part I've been really lucky in the upstream developers
        for the software I've chosen to package.  Patrick Ohly, upstream for
        Syncevolution deserves special mention for caring about distributions
        above and beyond the call of duty, but André Simon (highlight), Chris
        Putnam (sketch) and Gene Ressler (sketch) have all been great about
        responding to user issues and about accepting patches from debian into
        upstream.

        3.3 Squashing Bugs
        ===================

        I have worked on quickly resolving any RC bugs in my packages
        (e.g. 569626, 566940, 544862). I have also tackled other RC bugs where
        I was interested in the package (I NMUed maxima during the Lenny
        freeze to fix an RC bug. The upload didn't make it into Lenny, but it
        seemed to motivate the maintainer :) ), or as part of the Debian Perl
        team.

        3.4 Helping Users
        ==================

        I've tried to be friendly and helpful to various bug reports, whether
        they are genuine bugs (552570) or just confusion (499751; in this case
        the confusion is understandable).

        4 Primary areas of interest within debian

        I enjoy working with the Debian Perl team, and as a Debian Developer
        I'd likely continue to do that, probably providing a much needed extra
        pair of hands uploading (roughly speaking sponsoring) packages for the
        team.

        My main focus packaging wise will probably continue to be software
        related to mathematical computation (graph theory, number theory,
        convex geometry) and optimization (linear and integer
        programming). Most of this will be somehow associated with the Debian
        Science team. One non-packaging project I'd like to help with is
        getting a Package Entropy Tracker (PET) (like Debian Perl uses)
        working for the Debian Science team.  This might need work on the PET
        code to support git; currently it is svn only.

2a. Advocate writes
   From: Yaroslav Halchenko <yoh@debian.org>
        http://lists.debian.org/20100215151946.GS18213@onerussian.co

        My first contact with David has happened in February 2008, while he
        was seeking for a sponsor of bibutils package.  I became a "dedicated
        sponsor" for that (one of a few) package of David, and can say that
        I liked working with him: David was always responsive, taking my
        advises seriously, and providing corresponding fixes in a timely
        matter.  Although bibutils is just a single package, and altogether
        our interaction with David was somewhat limited and mostly technical,
        from that experience I can state that David has good social skills and
        is eager to contribute to Debian.

        Altogether, David is maintaining several packages to do with academic
        writing
         - sketch
         - bibutils
         - latexdiff
        and with mathematical computing
         - lrslib
         - nauty (non-free)
        with several more mathematical packages ITP'd and generic utility
        packages (e.g. syncevolution and libsynthesis).

        He is also experienced to work in a team (co-maintaining highlight
        package, working with the pkg-perl team on several packages, nauty is
        under Debian Science Maintainers).  David seems to work closely with
        upstream (particularly bibutils, sketch, lrslib, and syncevolution) in
        getting patches upstream and solving user issues. He is energetic in
        working on RC bugs (see e.g. 569626, 566940, 544862) and generally
        friendly and efficient. He also reacted and NMUed maxima during the
        Lenny freeze, when it looked like it was going to be dropped.

        David shared with me his plans to focus on packaging and maintaining
        in Debian software for mathematical computing and optimization (linear
        programming and related topics).  He is using and advocating the use
        of free software (well, nauty is an odd case, but bliss is a free
        replacement ITPed) in his work as a professor in CS and thus he is
        well motivated to keep those tools in good shape in Debian.

        Therefore, I am advocating David Bremner for Debian Developer
        position.

   Other voices:
        http://lists.debian.org/20100215164356.GC4153@belanna.comodo.priv.at
        http://lists.debian.org/20100217151901.GA6239@ib.mobile.jhr-online.de

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   David has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. he committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   David has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer or co-maintainer of various packages, which are
   all in a good shape.
   David also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept David as a Debian Developer.
   Working together with him during his NM process and also while
   packaging darktable was/is an very nice task, he is responsive, friendly
   and eager to work on Debian stuff. I'm sure he'll be a great addition to
   Debian.

- --