AM report for Scott Kitterman

Report for NM applicant Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

  First name:      Scott
  Last name:       Kitterman
  Key fingerprint: 7523 647B 95E5 0475 47EC  2BBA 1DA8 DA33 DDCD 686A
  Account:         kitterman
  Forward email:   debian@kitterman.com

  Scott's key is signed by three Debian Developers; the key ID is
  0x1DA8DA33DDCD686A; ID check passed.

  Output from keycheck.sh:

    pub   1024D/DDCD686A 2006-12-19
          Key fingerprint = 7523 647B 95E5 0475 47EC  2BBA 1DA8 DA33 DDCD 686A
    uid                  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    sig!3        DDCD686A 2008-05-28  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    uid                  Donald Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com>
    sig!         B2CFCDD8 2009-06-11  Philipp Kern
    sig!3        5E0577F2 2009-05-27  Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
    sig!3        DDCD686A 2006-12-19  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    sig!         0E1FAD0C 2009-05-28  Jo Shields <directhex@apebox.org>
    uid                  Donald Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@Kitterman.com>
    sig!3        DDCD686A 2006-12-19  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>
    sub   2048g/2963D4D5 2006-12-19
    sig!         DDCD686A 2006-12-19  Donald Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com>

    13 signatures not checked due to missing keys
    Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.  Good!
    Check for key expire stuff
    Valid "e" flag on key 0x1DA8DA33DDCD686A, no expiration
    Valid "s" flag on key 0x1DA8DA33DDCD686A, no expiration

2. Background
-------------

  Scott writes about himself:
  | I am a system engineering consultant by trade.  I'm 47 years old and
  | live outside Baltimore, Maryland in the United States.  I've been
  | interested in computers since I was in Junior High School (~13 years
  | old), back when that meant typing on a teletype connected to a distant
  | mainframe through an acoustic coupler.  I used to be able to whistle
  | the first bits of the connect sequence for a 110 baud modem.
  |
  | My first significant exposure to free software was the Mozilla suite
  | starting just before 1.0 was released (mid 2002).  Around the same
  | time I started learning about FOSS and community based development
  | techniques in general.  I work as a consultant and could see that this
  | new (to me) way of developing software could have benefit to my
  | customers.  In 2003 I got involved in a work project that required me
  | to do some programming (the first I'd done since I was in college ~20
  | years before).  After some research, I decided to use Python and have
  | used it since for quite a number of things.
  |
  | My first deep involvement in an open source project was with the
  | Sender Policy Framework (SPF) project: http://www.openspf.org/.  I've
  | been involved with the project since 2004, including being a member of
  | the SPF Council (the governing body for the project).  I maintain a
  | number of related packages in Debian as well as doing upstream
  | development and maintenance work.
  |
  | As I learned more about free software, I became more and more
  | concerned about continuing to base my business around Microsoft
  | Windows and proprietary software in general.  I believe that free
  | software is the right thing to do, I also believe it works better.
  | Personally the former is important to me, professionally, the latter
  | is critical.   Eventually I concluded that proprietary software (due
  | to security, licensing, and performance reasons) represented an
  | unreasonable business risk.  I set up my first mail server in 2005
  | (Debian Sarge).
  |
  | I am active in both Debian and Ubuntu development.  In Debian my
  | primary focus has been in the Debian Python teams.  I hope to continue
  | to help improve this area.  I'm currently working on updating Debian's
  | Python policy to deal with Python 3 and to improve the robustness of
  | the Debian Python stack.

2a. Advocation
--------------

  Scott was advocated by Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> who said the
  following about him (back in 2007):
  | Scott is a Debian Python Modules Team and Python Applications
  | Packaging Team member. He maintains SPF (Sender Policy Framework)
  | related stuff in Debian. As Ubuntu MOTU he really tries to merge
  | Ubuntu changes back to Debian, he wrote a wiki page about our team
  | and tries to convince Ubuntu guys that contributing to Debian is a
  | really good way to develop their distro.

  Of course today Piotr still wants to see Scott to be a DD as soon as
  possible.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------

  Scott has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
  and answered all my questions about the social contract,
  DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Scott committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
  in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
-------------------

  Scott currently maintains klamav, postfix-policyd-spf-perl, pydkim,
  pymilter, pymilter-milters, pypolicyd-spf, pyspf, pysubnettree, python-dns,
  python-ipaddr and stepic.  He also co-maintains python-defaults and
  pyyaml.  He was mentioned in at least 165 Debian changelog entries since
  2007.

  Over at Ubuntu he is a MOTU since 2007, a core-dev since 2008 and after
  being a member of the Ubuntu Universe Release Team, he's now a member
  of the merged Ubuntu Release Team and a Package Adminitrator.  He has
  strong reviewing skills and regularily sponsors package uploads there.

  Scott demonstrated a strong commitment to the Debian Project, patiently
  waiting for quite some time, and thus I heartly recommend to accept him
  as a Debian Developer.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern