Re: Bits from the New Maintainer process

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 12:55:05 pm Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Enrico Zini wrote:
> > If you are in the NM process and you suspect that it is getting stalled,
> > please do not wait for months before contacting Front Desk at
> > new-maintainer@debian.org
>
> Hi,
>
> As I see the above, this pushes me to send a message.
>
> It's been 2 months exactly that I didn't receive a single mail from my
> AM, Steffen Joeris <steffen.joeris@skolelinux.de>. He has been assigned
> as my AM at end of 2009, I think I have replied to all of the questions
> he asked me (PnP, TnS, etc.).
>
> Despite few emails that I have sent him to ask if he was waiting on
> more, I currently have no news. I was told by Raphael Geissert
> <geissert@debian.org> that Steffen was busy at end of January, but
> that's all I know.
>
> Also, I have numerous packages to upload, and lots of QA already done or
> to do, more generally on my packages, but can't find sponsorship
> anymore. To be 100% honest, I'm also being completely demotivated by the
> process of having to advertise so much about my packages to get them
> sponsored, knowing the current state of my application. Of course, I DID
> send mail to -mentors or to other people that I thought could sponsor,
> but I was hoping to get DM approved at least, as Steffen told me it
> could be done very soon, but I have no news from that either.
>
> What should be done from now? Should I wait more? Should I try more to
> get sponsorship even being so close to the end of the process?
>
> Hoping to get positive feedback from Steffen soon,
Indeed, I have been very busy with my studies, for which I apologize.
You've managed to complete all the NM questions in a satisfactory way, so
there is no doubt about that. For now I think it would be a good idea to make
you a DM. One thing which always worried me a bit was the way you were
handling your new packages. Yes, you're doing a lot of packaging work, but a)
I personally think that it is not a good idea for one person to have dozens
and dozens of packages and b) the way you asked for sponsorship was not the
right to go (sending one RFS to a team or -mentors that includes half a dozen
or a dozen packages is not helpful).

Either way, I recommend that you become a DM for now and see how things go.
This gives you the opportunity to maintain most of your packages. Of course,
you'll still have to send the declaration email and other DDs can express
their opinions as well (if they have any).

I am sorry for the delay again.

Cheers
Steffen