Re: Advocating Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au>

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:52:09AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > - His style of communication seems to rub some people strongly who
> > > have much credit to their name from their contributions in Debian.
> > > I suggest for Ben to take a lesson from that
>
> > This, in particular, I would like specific references for so I know
> > what people are objecting to.
>
> So for starters, there's this mail sent within hours of the one to
> which I'm replying:
>
>   <87k4ucbx2d.fsf@benfinney.id.au>

Thank you for this example.

> Pedantic, repeated insistence on a language distinction that no one
> else in the Debian community has a hangup over, while comically
> stereotypical as a concept, does nothing to advance Free Software and
> is bloody annoying to read.

Okay, I accept that you view the message that way. It was written in the
spirit of seeking clarity in communications about technical topics, and
was not intended to annoy.

If this is about *style of* communication, I'm not sure what about the
style is objectionable or how my style in that message would best be
modified. I see it as a polite message; perhaps someone else can shed
light if that's not the case for them.

Is it rather that you object to the topic of discussion? Do you think
that raising the topic of terminological precision should bar an
applicant from being accepted as a Debian Developer?

--
 \         “My girlfriend has a queen sized bed; I have a court jester |
  `\   sized bed. It's red and green and has bells on it, and the ends |