Re: Scott Howard applying for Debian Maintainer

Dear all,

showard314@gmail.com wrote:
> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMaintainer>.
> I have read the Social Contract, Debian Free Software Guidelines and
> Debian Machine Usage Policy and agree with all of them.
> Currently, I maintain the packages sandboxgamemaker and eagle.
> My GnuPG key CBF12A6A is signed by the Debian Developer Benjamin
> Seidenberg.
> I look forward to becoming a Debian Maintainer. Thanks for your attention.

it met Scott Howard online as his sponsor for sandboxgamemaker, and did
I also do eagle once? Scott has invested a considerable time, both for
the Debian packaging, and for communicating the challenges of a Linux
distribution like Debian to the upstream maintainers of
sandboxgamemaker, for whom it was not straight-forward to separate their
own (free) work from their community contributions (usable, but non-DFSG
compliant). This separation has now been implemented and thus, we have
sandboxgamemaker with us. The next upload will feature Scot's downloader
for the sandboxgamemaker data files, to be invoked manually by whoever
is interested.

I don't even want to talk about the technical bits. The package is
large, Scott used more than the bare essentials for the packaging, and
his package was lintian-clean from second 1. What I want to stress more
is how well he "listens" to emails, how constructive and quick his
reactions are, and how patient he was (and is) with me as his sponsor.
It felt and feels always good to communicate with him, which certainly
also contributed to his success with upstream in the first place.

Please accept him as a DM, hoping Scott to aim for more.

Steffen