Re: Intent to become a Debian Maintainer

On Fri, 15 May 2009 08:32:17 -0700, Ryan Niebur wrote:

> <URL:http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers>.

It's a pleasure for me to hereby advocate Ryan's application as a DM.

Ryan has joined the Debian Perl Group in October 2008, and we are
closely working together since then. He very quickly picked up all
the written and unwritten rules and procedures, not only of our group
but of Debian in general, and his work has a very high quality. He's
proficient in packaging in general, fixing bugs, dealing with
upstream and other aspects needed as a DM/DD. His willingness to
constantly improve our packages and to also do some grunt work like
mass-adopting orphaned packages is a great help.

It was also nice to see over the last months how he "switched sides"
from being a "mentee" to actively helping others with various issues
around packaging, policy etc.

I've also sponsored some of Ryan's other packages outside of pkg-perl
(ack-grep, apt-listbugs, mergelog, mp3split, sysnews). These packages
were also in great shape, and when I had some questions or proposals
Ryan always explained quickly and friendly why he made certain
decisions or picked up my proposals where appropriate. -- Being a DM
would help him to work on these packages, and I'm confident that he
will continue to take good care for them.

My interactions with Ryan on IRC or via mail were always very
pleasant, as he's friendly, considerate, helpful and also witty.

IMO Debian will benefit from Ryan as a DM and hopefully soon as a DD.

Cheers,
gregor
--
 .''`.   Home: http://info.comodo.priv.at/{,blog/} / GPG Key ID: 0x00F3CFE4