Re: Proposal: have NM and DM sign a package maintainer pledge

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:33:05 +0200 Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
>Re: Raphael Hertzog 2009-09-20 <[🔎] 20090920104125.GA25203@rivendell>
>> As a package maintainer, I will do my best to help the Debian project
>> release a stable version of our operating system. In particular, I will
>[...]
>> I am aware of the limits of my skills and my available time and I will
>> avoid packaging software that I would not be able to maintain properly.
>
>I think that boils down to "I will only introduce packages that I will
>be able to maintain reasonably". For something people should sign, it
>is way to detailed, and we certainly don't want to get into the
>situation that we need lawyers to find out if someone is a bad
>maintainer or not.
>
>We already let people sign the SC (including the DFSG) - "We will be
>guided by the needs of our users and the free software community." In
>my understanding, that includes fixing bugs in a timely manner.
>
>The proposed text sounds fine as an addition to the developers
>reference, maybe as some foreword to chaper 3, "Debian Developer's
>Duties". We can also draft some NM template questions about it.

I think this is quite sensible.  My initial reaction when I read the draft
was that it didn't cover anything that wasn't already implicit in the SC.

There will be some people for which some additional information about
expectations will be sufficient and your proposal addresses that.  There
are others who won't get it and no amount of pledge signing will change
that.

Scott K