Re: Proposal: have NM and DM sign a package maintainer pledge

Hi

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like that all future package maintainers sign the following
> pledge during their acceptance process. It tries to define a minimal
> and common set of expectations among all package maintainers. This
> draft has been reviewed by several DD in the trip back from Debconf
> and I think it's quite good already. Once it's good enough, I'd welcome
> DAM/FD/DM-team to ensure that each person that is granted upload rights
> has signed this text.

(...)

> Comments welcome.

While I mostly agree with the wording and the spirit of such a text, I
fear it might add little to the existing necessary reading (policy,
devref, etc) and be seen by those reading ans signing as merely one more
bureaucratic hoop to jump through.

Do you imagine it being enforced in any specific way? Or simply being
mentioned, for instance, by the QA team when orphaning someone's
package? Something like "you didn't abide by the pledge, so we're
orphaning your package".

OTOH, I'm not against it on principle and believe it could be added to
the first steps of NM/DM without getting in the way, just as the current
DM-intent-email seems to include "I've read and agreed to ...".

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]