Re: Debian Maintainer application for Adrian Perez

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:04:19PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:01:03AM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > I believe that Adrian Perez has the technical skills needed to
> > maintain Debian packages. I support his application to become a Debian
> > maintainer.
>
> > Adrian expressed an interest in adopting two packages I maintained and
> > put up for adoption, swt-gtk, a Java GUI library, and azureus, a Bit
> > Torrent client. He packaged new upstream versions of both packages and
> > went through the backlog of bugs in azureus and identified those that
> > were fixed in the new upstream release. He's been responsive and easy
> > to work with and has also joined the debian-java packaging team. I
> > have no doubt in his technical ability. Neither SWT nor Azureus are
> > trivial packages, and he managed both with little instruction. Adrian
> > would be a great addition to the Debian team.
>
> The first upload credited to him on either package was on July 6.  That's
> scarcely enough time for bug reports to come in about problems.  Do we
> really need to be giving upload access to people after only 4 sponsored
> uploads?

Well, I guess we shouldn't make upload rights dependent on the number
of sponsored uploads. Although I fear that 4 uploads are just not enough
to rate the skills of a person. But there is another point that disturbs
me a bit. Shaun is also speaking about "little instruction", which is
more then no instructions, which I think shouldn't be possible for
someone who wants to upload to Debian on his own.

Regards,
Patrick