Re: Proposed patches for NM templates

On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 12:23:58AM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:38:05AM -0300, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
>
> > What do you think about the presence of PH5b* in pp1? For me it sounds out of
> > context. I would put this question in pp2 near PPb. Or even in one of the TS
> > templates, maybe a bonus question.
> >
> > * Please describe what debtags is, and how you can contribute to
> >   it. Do you find it useful?
>
> I agree that that question feel out of place, and that it would probably
> fit better into T&S. Not quite as a bonus question because hopefully
> it's not a particularly difficult question.
>
> I take that question as part of a sort of checklist of things that an AM
> should make sure that the NM has heard of in Debian. Maybe as such it
> should be rephrased, maybe dropping "do you find it useful?" in favour
> of something like "how do you keep the tags of your packages up to
> date?".
>
> Or maybe the checklist could be made explicit, by having a single
> question like:
>
>  FOO1. What is your experience with:
>         - Debtags
> 	- The Debian l10n team
> 	- Bug Squashing Parties
> 	- UDD
> 	- The Debian Wiki
> 	- Maintaining packages in version control systems
> 	- Alioth
> 	- Comaintenance
> 	- (add here other useful bits of Debian that we wish NMs had at
> 	  least heard of)
>
> I am more and more thinking of the templates like a checklist rather
> than like an exam, so this approach could be something I could be
> tempted to give a try.

Which sounds much more adequate than the current approach IMO. I can feel
changes becoming real for NM process. That's great, although I don't think the
current one is too bad as some people think.

Just one more complain, which could be considered for the current templates: I
can't see the point for questions like "what's the difference between X and Y",
for example. There are a lot in the current templates however. Also, I don't
feel confortable answering those question which I had to do some research to be
able to write something - at the same time I don't think I have to have
all the answers immediately. In such cases I feel the need of telling you I
have no practical experience on such situation/subject, giving you anyway my
understanding about it, which is not really compatible with the question
itself.

In summary, I fully agree that questions in the way you mentioned will give you
AMs more useful and honest information from previous applicant's work in
Debian, and then his/her knowledge about the project. Please don't stop
thinking about this :)

Regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz