AM report for Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>

Hello,

	Public AM Report fornew Debian Developer applicant:

		Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>

1. Identification & Account Data
- --------------------------------
   First name:      Raphael
   Last name:       Geissert
   Key fingerprint: 84DAEA2133802516C38106F7632E3DAD46D9CE5A (0x46D9CE5A)
   Account:         geissert
   Forward email:   atomo64@gmail.com

   ID check passed, key signed by 18 existing developers.

   Output from keycheck.sh:

Mon Jun  1 01:52:16 BRT 2009

Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key 46D9CE5A from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
pub   1024D/46D9CE5A 2006-11-21
      Key fingerprint = 84DA EA21 3380 2516 C381  06F7 632E 3DAD 46D9 CE5A
uid                  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
sig!         8BB527AF 2007-12-23  Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
sig!         ADC9BC28 2007-12-23  Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com>
sig!         4743206C 2008-08-14  Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
sig!         F1BCDB73 2008-08-15  Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
sig!         58510B5A 2008-08-15  Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
sig!         C0143D2D 2008-08-15  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
sig!         16BD77C6 2008-08-15  Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.at>
sig!         005C3B82 2008-08-15  Jose Parrella <bureado@debian.org>
sig!         F2C423BC 2008-08-16  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
sig!         023B3F4F 2008-08-19  Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net>
sig!         28BCB3E3 2008-08-19  Neil Williams (Debian) <codehelp@debian.org>
sig!         B1DF9A57 2008-08-29  Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>
sig!         9DDB992B 2008-09-07  Luca Capello <gismo@debian.org>
sig!         E8C43461 2008-11-02  Ana Beatriz Guerrero López <ana@ekaia.org>
sig!         F2CF01A8 2008-12-01  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!         90E5CA46 2009-03-22  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>
sig!         3E7B4B73 2009-03-29  Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu>
sig!3        D8480F2E 2008-08-15  Jan Luebbe <jluebbe@lasnet.de>
sig!3        46D9CE5A 2008-01-16  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
sig!3        46D9CE5A 2009-05-09  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
sig!3        46D9CE5A 2007-04-13  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
sig!3        46D9CE5A 2008-01-02  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>
sig!         A0FB5DA6 2008-08-16  Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
sub   4096g/73BD4146 2006-11-21
sig!         46D9CE5A 2008-01-16  Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com>

14 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

2. Background
- -------------
   Applicant writes (on 20080420):

   First of all, I am Raphael Geissert and am 17.

   I started using Debian since about three years ago, after being a Windows user
   for several years.

   The first FOSS project I joined was the Shareaza P2P client, where I helped
   users, tried untested changes, translated the website, etc. Then I joined the
   development of other projects such as the Webinsta CMS.

   After being fed up with Windows I decided to give Debian a try, since I was
   very excited because of it being completely free.
   In spite of my very low knowledge of UNIX-like systems I managed to install
   Debian on a secondary hdd and started playing with it.

   Because Debian was not perfect I decided to help the projects as much as I
   could, which ended up on me filing a few reports and asking here and there
   how to solve some issues, though for some time I didn't get more involved
   with its development.
   After some time of being more in touch with the Debian ecosystem I decided to
   package some software I use and that's how it all begun. Since then I've
   tried to help the project in places where people usually don't pay too much
   attention, and things that home users like.

   The latter has been the reason why I've worked on DEHS, other QA-related
   tasks, and now on an archive free of bashisms :).

   A brief summary of me at Debian:
   * I maintain some packages
   * I maintain DEHS (and helped to make Debian more DEHS-aware everywhere)
   * I've filed reports against packages for reasons such as:
     + Broken watch files (now reported by the PTS, stopping the MBF[1])
     + Bad copyright information (now reported by lintian)
     + Missing dependencies on -dbg packages (now reported by lintian)
     + Bashisms in /bin/sh scripts (helping the dash as /bin/sh RG)
     + Orphaning and removal proposals
   * I've made some QA uploads
   * I've contributed some scripts, code, etc; to several packages and QA tools
   * I've also got the lintian maintainers add some checks (including some
   capitalisation ones[2])

   [1] Though I might start MBF'ing again if the number of broken watch files
   doesn't reduce.
   [2] Which IMHO are important, to give a nicer presentation of Debian to the
   end user.

   As to why I offer my time to Debian and FOSS in general all I can say is that
   I have so much to give back for what I've got from others. It is my way to
   say thank you to everybody.
   Of course I also use this opportunity to be a little selfish and make attempts
   to get some of my own wishes come true; after all I think everybody here does
   something like that ;-)

   My main goals in Debian are, as stated in my wiki.d.o page, to maintain a
   couple of packages, make Debian nicer for desktop and non-tech users, and
   improve Debian's QA.
   An implicit goal I have is to encourage Debian contributors to help make
   changes faster than before (e.g. having several parts of Debian talk about
   DEHS, notify about new versions, etc, etc).
   One of the most common opinions I get from Debian is that it is 'too slow for
   making changes', this is something I want to change; there are of course
   changes that require a lot of time and may not be accomplished the first time
   an attempt is made, and nothing can be done about those but to persevere
   ('persever and win' :).

   An example of my last statement is, IMHO, the dash as /bin/sh RG which I don't
   really expect to be accomplished for lenny[3]. Possible side effects (i.e.
   bugs, complaints, etc) of this change can be seen thanks to Ubuntu, which
   broke lots of scripts, 3rd party products, and others, by making the dash
   as /bin/sh change.
   Then one may ask me why I look so enthusiastic about this RG and fil reports
   here and there. My only answer is that it is required for people to pay more
   attention to that kind of bugs. In the end this may result in the change
   becoming a reality.

   [3] Note that I wrote this statement before the release team said that the
   dash as /bin/sh change would not happen for lenny.

   Google says:
   Profiles about Raphael on different websites:
	https://launchpad.net/~atomo64
	http://sourceforge.net/users/atomo64/
	http://www.linkedin.com/pub/raphael-geissert/a/173/793
	http://wiki.debian.org/RaphaelGeissert

   His blog: http://my.opera.com/atomo64/blog/
   Website: http://atomo64.puffinhost.com/

   There are lots of information regarding his contributions to Free Software,
   the first one appearing are Lintian, KCheckGMail and PHP.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Raphael has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Raphael committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   Raphael has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Raphael is maintainer (or co-maintainer) of 8 packages in main.

   Co-maintained:
   	ffmpeg-php (sponsored by toots, DM since 0.5.3.1-2)
	kcheckgmail (sponsored by ana and anibal, DM since 0.5.7.7-1)
	kio-locate (sponsored by fabo)
	php-adodb (sponsored by anibal, DM since 5.04-4)
	xserver-xorg-video-openchrome (sponsored by jcristau and bgoglin)

   Raphael is the sole maintainer of:
	kgb (sponsored by damog, DM since 1.0b4-6)
	le (sponsored by anibal, DM since 1.13.7-1
	switchsh (sponsored by lamby, DM since 0~20070801-3)

   All packages are in good shape.
   Raphael also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems
   and provided patches for RC bugs.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Raphael Geissert as a Debian Developer.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)