Re: DM Application for Thorvald Natvig

Hi,

I'm writing in support of Thorvald's application to become more involved
with Debian.  I've known Thorvald from interactions on the #debian-voip
channel since shortly after the mumble package was proposed for addition
to the distro (he is its upstream author, and the original packager of
it for Ubuntu), and also through interactions with the upstream author
of Speex, which I currently maintain and which is a dependency of mumble.

While I cannot vouch for the current quality of the mumble package (I have
not audited it myself, have never sponsored it, and don't actually use it),
I can say that I find his achievements to date as a software developer to
be well on the impressive side of unusual.

He has proven the ability to take a middle sized, but challenging, project
from conception to implementation, to build and support a user-base for it
and to package it for 'mainstream' distribution with several different
operating systems.  That alone would put him well above most applicants
who pose themselves as seasoned developers to the company I work for, but
that he has done this with effectively no prior industry experience does
say to me that he was either very improbably lucky, or (more likely) a
very quick and careful learner.

He has proven himself to be an inquisitive and eager student of best
practice.  Any time there have been eyebrows raised on #d-voip about some
element of mumble or its packaging he has always been thorough in getting
to the bottom of the concerns and exploring options to satisfy them, and
quick to get any necessary fixes included in a new release.  When such
discussions have taken place, they have invariably been non-confrontational
and educational to all involved, even in the face of (on rare occasions)
somewhat difficult opposition.  Where 'obvious' errors have been made, he
has always put in the effort to discover why they are obvious to others
and to question and improve understanding of the issue beyond the mere
application of corrective dogma, usually to the benefit of everyone who
was involved.

His contributions to Speex (a major component mumble is built on) have
been valuable and well received by its upstream author.

My impression of the patches I have seen him submit to speex, and of
the mumble codebase in general (to the extent that I have looked at it)
is that his code is clean and maintainable and would not be something
that I'd run in horror from if I were actually using it or responsible
for maintaining it (which you can take as an expression of high praise,
I dream of getting code half as clean from professional software houses).
I have a hunch that it is still not entirely free from 'n00b' errors yet
(but then what is), but I am entirely confident that as they are pointed
out, good fixes will be found and such things are unlikely to be repeated
thereafter.

Thorvald has the rare kind of elite but not elitist nature that I believe
could make him not only an outstanding contributor to the body of Free
Software and to the Debian project distributing it, but also an excellent
role model to others on this path and a true pleasure to work with.
I heartily welcome his decision to join our project, and wish upon him
the cream of our AMs when he finds the time to also run the gauntlet of
our NM process.  Time spent with a good and careful mentor would most
definitely not be wasted on him is my feeling, but he's probably already
more careful than most.  In the meantime I advocate extending him the
privileges needed to maintain this code more directly for Debian.  He's
essentially been exercising all of them except uploading already and
seems clearly well aligned with our fundamental philosophies.

Best,
Ron