AM report for Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@iki.fi>

Report for new developer applicant Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@iki.fi>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0xFC7F6D0F:
   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:

Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key FC7F6D0F from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
pub   1024D/FC7F6D0F 2003-07-10
      Key fingerprint = E6A8 8BA0 D28A 3629 30A9  899F 82D7 DF6D FC7F 6D0F
uid                  Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@iki.fi>
sig!         2D9ACC8E 2006-10-17  Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>
sig!         3B0BB9A9 2006-11-18  Teemu Hukkanen <tjhukkan@iki.fi>
sig!3        FC7F6D0F 2003-07-10  Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@iki.fi>
sub   2048g/EF597E14 2003-07-10
sig!         FC7F6D0F 2003-07-10  Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki@iki.fi>

2 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:

I started using GNU/Linux by installing SuSE Linux 5.3 in 1997. It took
over 7 years from there to get rid of non-libre software (especially
operating system). My real interest in Debian came only after switching
from SuSE to Ubuntu at home in October 2004. Some time after that, I
started using Debian testing at my work, hastily visited Debconf05, got
more interested and started keeping Ubuntu+Debian dual-boot also at
home. I want to volunteer my time since it's fun, and since I've gotten
all the tools I have needed at home, at work and at M.Sc. studies
(before I graduated) from the free software community.

I've contributed to Debian mainly by maintaining the five packages
related to high quality free software Finnish spellchecking and
hyphenation software [1]. I've also had them included in the Finnish
tasksel task, though unfortunately the change didn't make it to etch. In
addition to some Finnish language issues, I have also tested+closed a
few random bugs in various applications of my interest over the time.
All in all, maintaining the packages has been clearly the biggest effort
so far.

In addition to directly contributing to Debian, as a founder of Ubuntu
Finland [2] I've tried to bring Debian forth from the beginning. Among
else, "contributing" section's (on the "Ohjeita" page) one link out of
three is to Debian, together with a link to my blog article about Debian
and especially how to contribute to Debian. I hope that they help to
bring the Finnish-speaking people most interested in contributing also
to the Debian community.

My primary interests and goals in Debian include improving localization,
out-of-the-box desktop usability, benefiting from and co-operating with
Ubuntu and lessening the people's urge to install non-free software by
helping if possible with testing of gnash, X.org video drivers (I've
managed to fix a bug or two in ati drm/ddx), Xiph.org stuff et cetera.

In general I also hope that Debian will become easier to access, and
more friendly as perceived by any new people trying to get to know to
either Debian people or Debian project. I guess it includes improving
the web site, then, and maybe supporting the idea of establishing "code
of conduct" to eg. mailing lists or the project in general.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=timo.jyrinki@iki.fi
[2] http://www.ubuntu-fi.org/

2. Account Data
   Account: timo
   Forward-Email: timo.jyrinki@iki.fi

3. Philosophy and Procedures
   Timo has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.