AM report for Filipe Lautert <filipe@icewall.org>

[This should have gone out last week, my apologies for delaying the
debian-newmaint copy]

Report for new developer applicant Filipe Lautert <filipe@icewall.org>

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0xA6BA423E:
   ID check passed, key signed by 1 existing developer:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   pub   1024D/A6BA423E 2007-01-02
         Key fingerprint = BDC5 9E6B C8E3 B139 DAF0  7E69 98A1 5B3E A6BA 423E
   uid                  Filipe Lautert <filipelautert@celepar.pr.gov.br>
   sig!         90E5CA46 2007-01-09  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>
   uid                  Filipe Lautert <filipe@icewall.org>
   sig!         90E5CA46 2007-01-09  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>

   Applicant writes:
   I get in touch with GNU/Linux at university 7 years ago. There they
   have terminals running Debian GNU/Linux. By the age I get there
   they were running Deban Potato. So, this was my very first contact
   with GNU/Linux & Debian.
   After I tried to install it at home. But it happened that I had a
   old PC and no experience with Debian, so I had a lot of problems
   trying to install it. By that time I get a suse 6.2 CD and managed
   to install it at my computer. With Suse I learned to configure X by
   hand, to configure my modem, etc. Around this time I started to
   provide Unix support at work, and got a FreeBSD workstation to do
   it. So I started to get used to the BSD way and learnt that
   Slackware was the closest Linux to BSD's.
   So I installed it at home, and after at work. With Slackware I
   learn to download source, try to build package, download
   dependency, try to build dependency, download another depedency,
   try to... and so on :D This whole process take around 1,5 year.
   After this I was a full Linux user.
   When I got tired of build from source, I started to try to play
   with Debian again. I first started with Kurumin, which was easier
   to install and to have a working desktop. With Kurumin I learnt how
   to use apt, dpkg and lots of Debian things. Also I learn about what
   is stable and testing, so I get courage again and finally tried to
   install Debian Testing (Sarge at that time), and I managed to do it
   \m/ After this I changed my job and started to work at a company
   that was in the middle of a big migration from proprietary to free
   software.
   There I worked as a Java software developer and had a Debian
   workstation. A lot of people there were using Kurumin or Debian,
   and often I helped them to install software. Then I decided to
   learn about Debian packages, created a mirror at my Desktop and
   started to package the applications that we used.
   I remember the first application that I packaged was IBM Lotus
   Notes and a specific version of wine to run it :D After that I
   packaged tomcat, eclipse and other tools that didn't had packages
   at this time.
   Those packages only were used internaly, but I learnt a lot with
   them. Also, I helped to install a lot of Debian servers when I was
   there, created a Debian CDD, helped to initiate the use of
   PostgreSQL there (I'm a proud Oracle killer), installed and tunned
   a lot of PosgreSQL too and introduced ruby and ruby on rails there
   too.
   Around 2006 I decided that it was time to help Debian so I could
   give something back. Also, I wanted to help make Debian a strong
   distribution for ruby users and developers. So I searched for a
   orphaned ruby package to start to maintain it. And I found
   libxml-ruby and libxslt-ruby. I looked for a orphaned package
   because I thought it was a good idea to get an already packaged
   application and just update it, so I could learn more about
   packaging this way.

   Then I managed to upload postgresql-plsh. I already had the package
   for personal use for some time, then I asked Peter (the creator of
   the tool that is also a Debian Developer) to upload it.

   Finally, I start to work on mongrel package with Gunnar Wolf. I get
   so involved with this software that I ended up becoming upstream
   during the packaging process. For this package I had to package 2
   more dependencies packages, and one of those packages
   (libdaemons-ruby) replaced an outdated package in the mirror
   (libdaemonize-ruby).

   My goals in Debian are:
   * keep on maintaining the packages that I have in Debian and help
     Debian to become a rock solid distribution for ruby users;
   * help sponsor packages and become a Application Manager to help
     new Debian wanna be developers like me;
   * get back to my studies of Linux kernel/Kde and join the
     kernel/Kde team;
   * when have more time take a look at Debian with diferents kernel,
     like kfreebsd and opensolaris. As I work today with a lot of
     diferent environments (I work with linux, solaris, hp-ux, aix,
     etc) I think I can be of some help porting Debian to those
     diferent kernels;
   * more things that I will find with time.

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: filipe
   Forward-Email: filipe@icewall.org

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Filipe started with Guilherme Pastore as AM who went through P&P 1
   with him; I took over for the remaining parts. He has a good
   understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures and answered
   all questions about the social contract, DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good
   way. Filipe committed to uphold the SC and DFSG in his Debian work
   and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Filipe has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Filipe is maintainer of mongrel and several ruby modules. All
   packages are in good shape. Filipe also answered my other questions
   regarding T&S without problems and provided patches for RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Filipe as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/