Re: [D-m-team] Giving people time to react (Re: debian-maintainers_1.17_i386.changes ACCEPTED)

On Tue Jan 29 14:05, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:35:53PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > I'm all for adding Adam to the DM keyring, but as a general rule, I'd
> > like the following rule to be added to the DM policies:
> > * Between the DM's application on the debian-newmaint list, or the
> >   filing of the respective bug on the debian-maintainers package
> >   (whatever is earlier), a full week should pass before a
> >   debian-maintainer package is uploaded that adds this applicant's
> >   key.
>
> So far we've not done that and not had any problems -- the only person
> that has been added and then had objections was removed before they had
> the opportunity to upload. Adding delays to solve problems that don't
> exist isn't a good idea; and every DM that does get added is advocated
> by a DD already.

I strongly agree with Christoph. As it is I am of the opinion that it is
too easy to get DM rights (particularly given the number of people who
said 'it ought to take 3 months to become a DD' in response to my
suggestions of NM reform). One of the things which tempers that is the
public way in which DMs are proposed, giving people the opportunity to
review the DM and react.

Just because with the one controversial upload so far they didn't get
around to making an upload does not mean this is a good reason to
continue making controversial uploads, when a little more time would
mean you didn't make the upload at all.

I hardly think a week is a long time to wait.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson