AM report for Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org>

Report for new developer applicant Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org>

1. Identification & Background
-------------------------------

        Check with keyid 0x70096AD1

Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
gpg: requesting key 70096AD1 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
pub   1024D/70096AD1 2005-12-28
      Key fingerprint = D004 36A9 0C4B D120 0202  0A3C 37E1 C175 7009 6AD1
uid                  Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org>
sig!         E9ABFCD2 2006-06-29  Devin Carraway <aqua@atlantic.devin.com>
sig!         17063E6D 2006-08-18  Kees Cook <kees@outflux.net>
sig!         808D0FD0 2006-08-24  Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
sig!         6E76D81D 2007-08-11  Sean Finney <seanius@seanius.net>
sig!         C2CE8099 2007-12-21  NOKUBI Takatsugu <knok@daionet.gr.jp>
sig!         E7075A54 2008-01-01  Masayuki Hatta (mhatta) <mhatta@gnu.org>
sig!         1CF2D62A 2008-01-28  Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net>
sig!         607559E6 2008-04-12  Benjamin Mako Hill <mako@ubuntu.com>
[...]

Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

Applicant writes:
I'll try to keep this short and to the point; I could make it a few times
longer, but I'll save such writing for my website. (-:

I came to GNU/Linux in 1999 when a friend at a summer camp was doing some
obscure thing at a workstation in a library.  It looked like DOS, but
remote.  He said, "It's Linux."  At the time, I was in the start of high
school.

My desktop computer on Windows 98 was crashing every twenty minutes, so I
figured this would be a good time to try out what he was talking about.  I
stumbled across the GNU Manifesto in a text editor named Emacs, and I
quickly understood the Free Software values underlying so much of the
system.  In addition to liberating, the system was empowering, and I set
up a machine (eventually running Debian) to be a home network gateway at
my house.  Software like GNU HTTP Tunnel helped teach me about connecting
networks that didn't want to be connected, and as OpenSSL had a few
vulnerabilities in the coming few years I learned about hand-compiling
packages when my distributor (Mandrake at the time) stopped shipping
updates.

Quickly I saw the value of Debian, so in 2002 I switched my desktop to
that.  Additionally to the above, today I run a mail/web/DNS server for
myself, some friends, and Students for Free Culture <freeculture.org>, and
in college I quickly became a member of the Association for Computing
Machinery <http://acm.jhu.edu>.  At ACM, with others (mainly Albert Lee in
my time), I worked on setting up and standardizing new desktops through
the use of a metapackage (NOT of Debian archive quality!) and switching
our authentication from NIS to LDAP.

In 2005 I began to follow up on my urge to contribute to Debian, so I
started work on a few small packages (cue2toc and ccd2iso) and now also
maintain a more significant package, the alpine mail user agent.

2. Account Data
---------------

        Account: paulproteus
        Forward-Email: asheesh@asheesh.org

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------

Asheesh has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
and answered all my questions about the social contract,
DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Asheesh committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills

Asheesh has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
He answered my questions without any problems and was very eager to fix
bugs. He is also very friendly and enthusiastic.

I recommend to accept Asheesh as a Debian Developer.