AM report for Xavier Lüthi

Report for new developer applicant Xavier Lüthi <xavier@caroxav.be>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

pub   1024D/74974824 2006-06-16
      Key fingerprint = C2AB ED7E 865F 60C1 76C4  7757 813F E83A 7497 4824
uid                  Xavier Luthi <xavier@luthi.eu>
sig!3        74974824 2008-03-25  Xavier Luthi <xavier@luthi.eu>
uid                  Xavier Lüthi <xavier@luthi.eu>
sig!3        74974824 2006-06-26  Xavier Luthi <xavier@luthi.eu>
uid                  Xavier Luthi <xavier@caroxav.be>
sig!         9DFFAAD4 2008-04-01  Ludovic Brenta <lbrenta@debian.org>
sig!3        74974824 2006-06-16  Xavier Luthi <xavier@luthi.eu>
sub   2048g/C69F8771 2006-06-16
sig!         74974824 2006-06-16  Xavier Luthi <xavier@luthi.eu>

Key is signed by Debian Developer Ludovic Brenta. Xavier indicated he will try
to visit FOSDEM this year to get more signatures on his key.

   Applicant writes:

I'm 28 years old, married, and two lovely children (a girl and a boy)
bring life into our house.  I'm working as an egnineer in a mobile &
fixed telephony company in Brussels (Belgium).

I've been using computers for more than twenty years.  I remember the
very first one, an Amstrad (Schneider) CPC 6128 which was an 8-bit
computer without a hard disk! With it, I've discovered the Basic and
the wonderful world of programmation...

My first contact with GNU/Linux and the Free Software world was back
in 98 when I entered the University.  RedHat 5.2 was installed in all
computer rooms. Quickly, I've started playing with it, and installing
a version on my home computer.  I've used many distributions, from
RedHat to Slackware, Mandrake, Suse, Gentoo, Ubuntu and Debian.

In 2006, I was using mainly Debian for its stability and its powerful
packaging system.  At that time, I wanted to give back to the
community and the easiest way to do it was to contribute on a package
I was using frequently.  I adopted the package b2evolution, a weblog
engine I was using for my family blog. As I became more familiar with
the packaging of a web application, I've also created a brand new
package for pixelpost (a photoblog engine).

Packaging web application is something I like to do.  I think some
work can be done inside Debian to improve the way web applications are
packaged.  Indeed, when having a look at sources of some webapp
packages, I see there is a lot of different ways of packaging them,
and many good ideas are present in some packges but not reused in some
others.  Based on some (draft) policies (i.e. dbconfig-common,
webapp-common...) and existing packages, it should be possible to
determine best packaging pratices and use them to maintain existing
packages and to package new webapps.

In the future, I would also like to help in the packaging of desktop
applications that might be used by people not very familiar with a
computer, especially the young people and the children.  I think this
is very important in order to have GNU/Linux actually used.

I want to volunteer my time for Debian for two main reasons.  First,
I'm taking fun while "working" on Debian stuff! I enjoy hacking
packages or finding an elegant solution to a strange bug in any
package.  Secondly, if it is possible to be efficient and to produce
someting valuable when having fun, why not?  Contributing to Debian is
valuable for me as it helps improving the quality of GNU/Linux and
helps spreading it.

2. Account Data
---------------

   Account: xluthi
   Forward-Email: xavier@caroxav.be

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------

   Xavier has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills

   Xavier has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer of several packages which are in good shape.

   We also did a number of tasks where he showed good technical knowledge
   and interacted well with other parties. He's done a lot of work on bug
   triage. He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept Xavier Lüthi as a Debian Developer.