AM report for Chris Lamb <chris@chris-lamb.co.uk>

I am pleased to report on the new developer applicantion of
Chris Lamb <chris@chris-lamb.co.uk>:

1. Identification & Background
- ------------------------------
   Check with keyid 0x634F9A20:
   ID check passed, key signed by numerous existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
    Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
    Receiving and checking key
    gpg: requesting key 634F9A20 from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
    pub   1024D/634F9A20 2005-11-19
          Key fingerprint = 0F1E 5C1F 1D3D F7DB AEE0  4288 E7FF 2E5B 634F 9A20
    uid                  Chris Lamb (Lamby) <chris@chris-lamb.co.uk>
    sig!         C5E95333 2008-03-01  Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org>
    sig!         EA59038E 2007-04-16  Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
    sig!         C34AA484 2007-06-19  Benjamin Seidenberg <benjamin@debian.org>
    sig!         4743206C 2007-06-19  Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
    sig!         27FCEB27 2007-06-21  Philipp Hug <philipp@hug.cx>
    sig!         9B7C328D 2007-06-23  Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
    sig!         8DBFEC2F 2007-06-23  Per Olofsson <pelle@debian.org>
    sig!         B1DF9A57 2007-06-24  Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>
    sig!         023B3F4F 2007-06-25  Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net>
    sig!         096C4DD3 2007-06-26  Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com>
    sig!         9725F63B 2007-06-27  Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org>
    sig!         BD058554 2007-07-01  Michael Biebl <biebl@teco.edu>
    sig!         50064181 2007-07-02  Paul van Tilburg <paul@luon.net>
    sig!         EA7CF5AD 2007-07-04  Nicolas FRANÇOIS <nekral@debian.org>
    sig!         969457F0 2007-07-05  Joost van Baal <joostvb@mdcc.cx>
    sig!         1880283C 2007-07-22  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
    sig!         B345BDD3 2007-08-26  Neil McGovern <maulkin@halon.org.uk>
    sig!         797EBFAB 2007-08-26  Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.com>
    sig!         DED45912 2007-08-26  Paul Martin <pm@nowster.org.uk>
    sig!         2D9ACC8E 2007-09-20  Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>
    sig!         A3F9E30E 2007-09-20  Michael C. Schultheiss <schultmc@debian.org>
    sig!         90E5CA46 2007-09-23  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>
    sig!         99E81DA0 2007-10-01  Lior Kaplan <kaplanlior@gmail.com>
    sig!         6868F41F 2008-02-24  Bart Martens <bartm@knars.be>
    sig!         01FA8B4A 2008-02-25  Sune Vuorela <sune@vuorela.dk>
    sig!         28BCB3E3 2008-02-25  Neil Williams (Debian) <codehelp@debian.org>
    sig!         C5C05BAE 2008-02-25  Yves-Alexis Perez (Corsac) <corsac@corsac.net>
    sig!         89BF7E2B 2008-03-02  Daniel Kobras <kobras@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
    sig!         6FECCDE0 2008-03-10  Santiago Ruano Rincón <santiago@unicauca.edu.co>
    sig!3        88C7C1F7 2007-04-15  Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>
    sig!3        BD8B050D 2007-06-25  Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.de>
    sig!3        73647CFF 2007-08-26  Nico Golde <nion@debian.org>
    sig!    PN   AF79D29E 2008-03-10  Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be>
    [some more IDs / subkeys snipped]

    2 bad signatures
    384 signatures not checked due to missing keys
    Key is ok
    Check for key expire stuff
    Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
    I am currently a 22-year-old postgraduate computer science student at the
    University of Warwick in England.

    My first contact with GNU/Linux was approximately 8 years ago with Slackware
    and--as these stories inevitably go--I experimented with a number of
    distributions before finding a Debian "Slink" disk. However, I did not have
    internet access for many years, so the free software community remained
    essentially hidden from me.

    At University, I started using GNU/Linux in a serious way and after learning
    more about the philosophies behind it (and understanding it better in a
    technical sense) I decided to attempt to exclusively use free software on my
    computers. I am now an keen advocate and have convinced various family
    members and friends to draw the same conclusions.

    My first encounter with Debian development was by lurking on a number of
    mailing lists for a few months before offering patches on some bugs that
    were affecting me in the (then-testing) Etch. A little later I managed to
    get a few new packages uploaded to the archive for software I was interested
    in and joined the Debian Live team after being accepted as a student for
    the Google "Summer of Code" programme.

    These days, my areas of interest within Debian still reside with the Debian
    Live project as well as with a growing number of packages, mostly adopted
    via wnpp due to varying degrees of neglect. I am also interested in the
    general quality of the archive and enjoy submitting patches for a variety of
    packages. I have also written a few Debian-specific programs, mostly aimed
    at developers.

    Outside of Debian development, I maintain a number of Debian machines,
    including a not-for-profit Xen-hosting venture and a number of machines
    belonging to my university's Computing Society including a 250-user shell
    account server. I am also Projects Officer for my university's GNU/Linux
    user group.

2. Account Data
- ---------------
   Account: lamby
   Forward-Email: chris@chris-lamb.co.uk

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Chris has a very good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and easily answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. He committed to uphold the
   SC and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   Chris has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer of the following packages in main, mostly
   sponsored by Daniel Baumann (daniel), some by Cyril Brulebois
   (kibi), and one by Matthew Johnson (mjj29):
   aptfs bzr-gtk cakephp cakephp-instaweb codespeak-lib debian-bts-applet
   drm-snapshot geordi giftrans haskell-irc haskell-utf8-string
   jasmin-sable live-installer live-magic mtpfs pypy swi-prolog
   swi-prolog-doc trac-bzr trac-spamfilter xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

   Of note is that these packages involve a fair set of languages,
   at least C, PHP, Python, Haskell, and Prolog. Also of note is
   the XServer Nouveau driver.

   A cursory inspection of his packages turned up nothing of
   concern.

   He has participated in BSPs and is active in QA, contributing
   almost 80 NMUs (between April and today) as well as 7 QA uploads,
   fixing RC and release goal bugs.
   He is credited with patches 10 times in the lintian changelog.
   An inspection of approximately 30 random bug reports matching
   a quick grep for his name showed that he addresses bugs in his
   package in a timely and professional way, has provided many patches
   (on top of above NMUs), and communicates very well with bug
   submitters, upstream, and other maintainers.

   Chris also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

5. Recommendation
   As far as the Application Manager is concerned, Debian wants Chris.
   I heartily recommend to accept Chris as a Debian Developer and
   look forward to having him as my peer in the project.

- --
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/