Re: DM application for Adam Cécile (Le_Vert)

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:03:15AM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 22:31 +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   He repeats at lengths that he cares way more about quantity rather
> > than quality, and always choses to upload new packages instead of fixing
> > bugs, and all what he cares about is that a new upstream enters
> > unstable, now matter how.
>
> I know nothing of Adam and so can't comment on his
> suitability for DM one way of the other.
>
> However, some of objections you raise seem to me to
> to be applicable to a DD, not a DM.  As far as I can
> see, becoming a DM makes it easier to maintain your
> existing packages - nothing more.

Pierre's evidence has displays the character of a person who is either not
capable or willing to maintain his existing packages, so I would argue that
if this is representative then Adam does indeed currently fail this simple
criteria.

Further, I would argue that you are absolutely flat out wrong when you say
that being a DM means you just need to maintain your packages well. Being a
DM means that you are actively and officially participating in the
development of the project. This requires a certain amount of technical
skill, which is assumed from the advocacy of a DD, as well as the
evidenciary quality of the person's work. If there are objections to the
prospective DM's technical abilities, they must be weighed before giving
this person unfettered rights to upload their packages without supervision.

Finally, I would strongly argue that a certain amount of social skills are
required when working in this project, especially for a DM, who would share
uploader rights with at least one DD, who they must get along with.  If the
prospective DM doesn't take kindly to well intentioned work on their
behalf, as in the bug report Pierre linked, then it's clear to me that this
person is not yet ready to be an official participant in what is
fundamentally a social project.

 - David Nusinow