Re: DM application: Thibaut Paumard

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:55:47PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:57:21PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:26:45PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > That's right. Thibaut has shown very good packaging skills and I'd like
> > him to be able to upload new packages himself.
>
> Could you go into a bit more detail about what's convinced you he's
> got good packaging skills? Are there any difficult bugs you've worked
> together on, or new features he's done a good job of getting into Debian,
> or has he been particularly helpful supporting users, or...?

Sure. Sorry that my advocation was a tad short.

I've been sponsoring Thibaut's yorick package once 1.5 years ago. He
started by bringing the package back into a good shape. I had asked him
to find another sponsor though because I don't use the "yorick" package
myself as a user and couldn't check whether it's fully functional. Since
september 2007 we have been working together closely on a lot of changes
to his package. For example he split off arch-indepent parts into
yorick-data and yorick-dev and added a custom debhelper-ish script to
aid the installation. He knows the debhelper scripts, uses debconf
scripts, used proper linda/lintian overrides, knows the menu and desktop
policy, used proper dependencies etc.

He also added four addon packages yorick-(gl|mpeg|yeti|z). Those
packages were all clean. I just had Thibaut check whether the
yorick-mpeg had any legal implications. He confirmed that the package is
built with a "strict" switch on so that no patent-problematic parts were
built.

As far as I could see he dealt with reported bugs in a timely manner.  I
hardly had to add anything to his work - only minor formal mistakes like
a wrong homepage (the upstream author had changed their URL) or a
non-free header file (that I didn't see either) that he fixed quickly.
He really showed a very thorough understanding of the Debian Policy that
I don't take for granted from sponsorees.

Hope that he gets accepted.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
email@christoph-haas.de  www.workaround.org   JID: chrish@jabber.workaround.org
gpg key: 79CC6586         fingerprint: 9B26F48E6F2B0A3F7E33E6B7095E77C579CC6586