AM report for Bernd Zeimetz

Report for new developer applicant Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

pub   1024D/C93BFF79 2006-04-20 [expires: 2011-04-19]
      Key fingerprint = 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C  BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
uid                  Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>
sig!         FED8F826 2006-05-22  Cajus Pollmeier (Privat)
<c.pollmeier@gmx.net>
sig!         5D64F870 2007-04-15  Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>
sig!         4743206C 2007-06-16  Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
sig!         16BD77C6 2007-06-16  Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.at>
sig!         7F961564 2007-06-16  Fabio Tranchitella (<!> kobold.it
[http://www.kobold.it]) <kobold@kobold.it>
[...]
uid                  Bernd Zeimetz <buzzzed@buzzzed.de>
sig!         307D56ED 2007-06-18  Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
sig!         FED8F826 2006-05-22  Cajus Pollmeier (Privat)
<c.pollmeier@gmx.net>
sig!         5D64F870 2007-04-15  Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>
sig!         4743206C 2007-06-16  Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
sig!         16BD77C6 2007-06-16  Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@debian.at>
sig!         7F961564 2007-06-16  Fabio Tranchitella (<!> kobold.it
[http://www.kobold.it]) <kobold@kobold.it>
[...]
sub   4096g/67374EE4 2006-04-20 [expires: 2011-04-19]
sig!         C93BFF79 2006-04-20  Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de>

153 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has an expiration date of 2011-04-19.

   Applicant writes:

My name is Bernd Zeimetz, I am 26 years old and a student of
computer science at the 'Technische Universität Darmstadt', which is
also the place I work at as system administrator. I am taking care of
the whole infrastructure to fulfill the needs of about 1000 users in a
heterogeneous environment with Windows/Samba, OSX/Netatalk and various
Linux/Solaris/Irix machines. I guess it is needless to say that we're
running Debian on all servers. The department i am working for is also
providing hosting space for several machines of the experimental buildd
network.
      While my main programming language is Python, I know enough C/C++,
Java and Perl to be able to debug and fix bugs.

      The first contact I had with free software was about 10-12 years
ago when I bought a computer magazine which came with a CD (or floppy!?)
of an 'alternative' operating system. Unfortunately it didn't come with
much documentation, so I played a bit with the console and dropped it.
Some time later, when I got my first 'own' computer, I was looking for a
useful solution to connect two computers to the internet - and installed
SuSE (it was the only distribution available at the local bookstore, so
I had no choice) on an old machine. Some versions later I also started
to use Linux on my desktop and started to work for a local advertising
company, maintaining their local mail-relay and router, also based on
Linux, and later their dedicated server, hosting clients' homepages.
When I heard the first time about Debian and learned how to use it I
changed all servers and my desktop to Debian, as it was much more easy
to handle and configure than SuSE (mainly because Debian neither uses
YaST nor rpm). Later I started to work at the university, having my own
servers and so on.

      During the first few years free software was only a 'nice to have'
thing and a good replacement for broken/not existing/buggy/annoying
functions in Windows. While others reinstalled their Windows several
times I had a working solution which did not just break at a random
time. But this point of view evolved fast to the belief that closed
source, proprietary software and software patents are a completely wrong
way to go. Working in a community, helping to provide a free, high
quality operating system for _everybody_ is what I want to volunteer my
time for, and why I chose Debian.

      My first contributions to Debian were bug reports, and whenever
possible providing patches to fix them. Today my main activity is within
the Python modules/apps teams, I've packaged several new packages, most
of them to close RFPs (html5lib, ll-core, ll-xist, mod-wsgi, pyip,
python-application, python-cjson, python-gnutls, winpdb) and I'm taking
care of several other packages in the team, including some which were
orphaned/RFA before (fpconst, pyro, python-markdown, python-soappy,
python-tclink, pyusb, zsi).
      Mainly due to packaging Zenoss (seems we can get Zenoss 2.1 into
Debian, finally) and because I'm maintaining a Zope instance in
production I've joined the Zope team and started to take care of bugs in
several packages in the team, also working on zope-common, the basic
Zope infrastructure in Debian. I'll spend some days in Extremadura to
work on Zope related things this year.
      Out of personal interest I'm working on the following packages:
gimp-plugin-registry (plugin collection for Gimp), refocus (plugin for
Gimp), viking (GPS data editor, analyzer and viewer), radiance
(currently in NEW, lightning simulation and rendering system) and
freemat (fulfilling a RFP, work in progress - a free Matlab replacement).
      Also I've helped to run the Debian booth at the Froscon this year,
and I'm actively helping/discussing in various Debian and Linux in
general related mailing-lists and irc channels, including the local
Linux user group.

      As python is my main programming language I'd like to ensure that
the quality level of the packages in the Python modules/apps teams stays
as high as it is these days, and I'll try to achieve this for the Zope
team, too. Sysadmin jobs are something I really like to do, so I'm also
interested in doing server/network related infrastructure work. Last but
not least I'd like to work as AM as soon as I've been DD for some time,
also I'll keep reviewing sponsorship-requests on debian-mentors and I'd
sponsor packages.

2. Account Data
---------------

   Account: bzed
   Forward-Email: bernd@bzed.de

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------

   Bernd has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Bernd has a thorough understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is maintainer of quite a number of packages, which are in good shape
   and on which he works in teams.
   He also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems,
   provided a patch for a (RC) bug, interacted well with bug submitters
   and maintainers during a bug triage. He even hijacked a neglected package
   and quickly brought it back into shape. The hijack went in a positive way.

   I recommend to accept Bernd Zeimetz as a Debian Developer.