AM Report for Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz

Report for new developer applicant Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with keyid ADC9BC28:
   ID check passed, key signed by several existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
   pub   1024D/ADC9BC28 2002-02-26
      Key fingerprint = 7C81 E60C 442E 8FBC D975  2F49 0199 8318 ADC9 BC28
   uid                  Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com>
   sig!         29499F61 2006-05-20  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
   sig!         6E8169D2 2006-05-21  Raphael Hertzog <raphael@ouaza.com>
   sig!         0ED704EA 2006-05-20  Mohammed Adn�e Trojette (adn) <adn@arabeyes.org>
   sig!         4B729625 2006-05-20  Peter Van Eynde <pvaneynd@debian.org>
   sig!         6B79D401 2006-05-20  Giunchedi Filippo <filippo@esaurito.net>
   sig!         9B7C328D 2006-05-20  Luk Claes <luk@debian.org>
   sig!         6D742669 2006-05-20  Luca Capello <luca@pca.it>
   sig!         C671257D 2006-05-20  David Moreno Garza <damog@espiral.org.mx>
   sig!         6FECCDE0 2006-05-20  Santiago Ruano Rinc� <santiago@unicauca.edu.co>
   sig!         EA59038E 2006-05-20  Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>
   sig!         D54F0847 2006-05-20  Mark Shuttleworth <mark@ubuntu.com>
   sig!         330C4A75 2006-05-20  Martin F. Krafft <mail@martin-krafft.net>
   sig!         307D56ED 2006-05-21  Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
   sig!         F1BCDB73 2006-05-21  Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
   sig!         C0143D2D 2006-05-21  Christian Perrier <bubulle@kheops.homeunix.org>
   sig!         90E5CA46 2006-05-21  Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) <faw@debian.org>
   sig!         71473F66 2006-05-22  Todd Troxell <ttroxell@debian.org>
   sig!         12066207 2006-05-25  Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>
   sig!         16D970C6 2006-05-28  Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
   sig!         808D0FD0 2006-05-29  Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com>
   sig!         8BB527AF 2006-05-31  Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
   sig!         DD9B9910 2006-06-01  Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>
   sig!         58510B5A 2006-06-01  Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de>
   sig!         1880283C 2006-06-10  Anibal Monsalve Salazar <anibal@debian.org>
   sig!         964199E2 2006-07-24  Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>
   sig!         3FCC2A90 2006-12-22  Amaya Rodrigo Sastre <amaya@debian.org>
   sig!         4E2ECA5A 2007-01-14  Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>
   sig!         096C4DD3 2007-06-13  Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com>
   sig!2        5706A4B4 2006-05-21  Simon Richter <Simon.Richter@hogyros.de>

   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
   I got interested in computers at an early age (blame that on an
   overzealous mom). Having them firmly established as my main hobby,
   when I entered college I spent most of my free time reading about
   CS stuff in the library, where I learned about and was pretty much
   convinced by the GNU Manifesto.

   My first use of Linux was in the email systems of my school. The
   second foray into free software was with LaTeX (downloaded in
   internet cafes and transported via floppies) in my increasingly
   unsatisfying W95 machine. By early '99 I gathered enough courage to
   go out and get a Linux book/cd with which I made my first install
   and have not looked back since (That old W95 install was updated
   once, to W98, in order to use a HW gadget. It finally disappeared
   about a year ago, in my latest oh-no-the-disk-died-again episode.)

   My contact with Debian happened later, around '01 or '02.
   Basically, I was fed up with RH's 'Well, just back up your /home
   and reinstall' approach to upgrading and I really bought gwolf's
   prodding.

   The reasons driving me to Linux were twofold. First, for me a
   computer is basically something you can program. Not having access
   to development environments was pretty much like being given a car
   but no gasoline must feel like to car lovers.

   The second was the fundamental 'rightness' I felt in rms' ideas
   (not that I love his way of delivering them).

   Unfortunately, I had never found a place where I felt I could
   *really* contribute back to the communities I was taking from. Now,
   why do I want to contribute? Well, one thing is basic fairness. I
   have taken enough, I believe I should 'pay back'. I also have more
   non-altruistic motives. I work as a TI consultant. I believe being
   a Free Software consultant gives me an edge, because I don't have
   to invest so much *money* into it (It's also an underprovided
   market, here in .mx) Active participation in a project such as
   Debian has two advantages. It gives me knowdlege, or the
   opportunity to get it, and it gives me visibility. Much easier to
   say 'I'm an expert' when you can point to specific accomplishments.

   So far my main contributions to Debian have been in package
   maintainership (sawfish, liferea) and in being a helpful presence
   in the debian-user-spanish ML as well as the #debian-es and
   #debian-mx IRC channels. I have also contributed patches to bugs,
   helping close about 8 RC bugs and around 6 of the python transition
   bugs in the last ~6 months. And I organized the
   not-very-successful-but-hey-at-least-we-did-it first Mexican BSP :-).

2. Account Data
---------------
   Account: rodrigo
   Forward-Email: rodrigo@nul-unu.com

2a. Advocate writes (Frontdesk and DAM only)
   From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org>
   Rodrigo has for a long time been a friend of mine - I first worked
   with him at a development project back in 1999. He was already a
   Linux and Free Software enthusiast/advocate. He studied
   Mathematics, and went on for a Computer Science Masters degree. He
   is one of the first people that signed my GPG key, as one of the
   first people to take seriously the task of building a web of trust,
   even inside our country. As for Debian, besides being a happy user
   for quite a long time, he took part of the local organization in
   Debconf 6, providing quite a good deal of help, and organized our
   first Bug Squashing Party. I must testify he is quite shy, so he is
   not yet very known inside the project, but I fully advocate him
   joining us.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Rodrigo has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Rodrigo committed to uphold the SC
   and DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Rodrigo has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Rodrigo is maintainer of keytouch, liferea, sawfish, and pubtal.
   All packages are in good shape. Rodrigo also answered my other
   questions regarding T&S without problems and provided patches for
   RC bugs.

   I recommend to accept Rodrigo as a Debian Developer.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/