AM report for Varun Hiremath

Report for new developer applicant Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>:

1. Identification & Background
- ------------------------------
   Varun's key, 0xCC453197 is signed by 1 existing developer,
   Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan@debian.org>

   Output from keycheck.sh:

   pub   1024D/CC453197 2006-08-06
      Key fingerprint = 2B98 FD5F 51A3 53E7 A921  9855 3C41 5250 CC45 3197
   uid                  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
   sig!         5D8C12EA 2006-12-19  Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan@debian.org>
   sig!3        CC453197 2006-10-21  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
   sig!3        CC453197 2006-08-06  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
   uid                  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@iitm.ac.in>
   sig!         5D8C12EA 2006-12-19  Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan@debian.org>
   sig!3        CC453197 2006-08-13  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>
   sub   1024g/1B18995B 2006-08-06
   sig!         CC453197 2006-08-06  Varun Hiremath <varunhiremath@gmail.com>

   4 signatures not checked due to missing keys
   Key is ok
   Check for key expire stuff
   Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:

I am 21 years old and pursuing Aerospace Engineering at Indian
Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras, India. I first encountered Linux
and free software in 2003 when I came to IIT.

Most of the systems here were running some version of Linux. I started
learning Linux and tried out some free softwares in my first year of
graduation. I used to work on Red Hat, Fedora Systems. I heard about
Debian GNU/Linux from my friend. I really liked Debian's package
management system, the freedom to select the packages you need, the
ease of installation and upgradation of packages. Moreover, we had a
Debian mirror inside our campus " http://ftp.iitm.ac.in";, the only
mirror in India. So it made more sense to use Debian as we could
install packages at lightning speeds.

Since then I have been using Debian. Its been almost three years now
and I have not faced any problems. Over the years I have learned a lot
about the Debian system as a whole. The way it functions, the BTS, the
package management system, etc.

I have personally learned a lot since I started using free and open
source software. I have been programming from my school days. I
learned C, C++ in school. I learned python after coming to IIT. I
enjoy programming and I have been writing small open source softwares.
Open source softwares give you the freedom to look into the source
code and learn how they work. They also give you the option of
modifying the source code to suit your needs.

I have been promoting Debian inside IIT, helped friends to convert to
Debian. I have installed Debian on many systems inside campus.

Since I had all the resources and the free time required to contribute
to Debian, I decided to maintain some packages in Debian.  I am
currently maintaining around 30 packages in Debian. I maintain these
packages along with Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org> at
http://code.google.com/p/bollin/. A list of packages:
http://code.google.com/p/bollin/wiki/Packagelist

I have provided patches to fix bugs. I have done NMUs to fix issues in
some packages. In the future I would like to contribute to the Debian
project in all the possible ways.

2. Account Data
- ---------------
   Account: varun
   Forward-Email: varunhiremath@gmail.com

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Varun has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Varun committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Varun has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.  He
   is maintainer or co-maintainer of 34 (!) packages including dvipng,
   pdfedit and pychess. He is sponsored by Alan Woodland, Torsten
   Werner, and others). The subset of packages I looked over are in
   good shape.  Varun also answered my other questions regarding T&S
   without problems and provided patches for RC bugs.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Varun Hiremath as a Debian Developer.