AM report for Benjamin Seidenberg <astronut@dlgeek.net>

Report for new developer applicant
Benjamin Seidenberg <astronut@dlgeek.net>

1. Identification & Background

   Check with Keyid 0xC34AA484

   ID Check passed, Key signed by existing DD Matthew Danish

   Output from keycheck.sh
Syncing Debian Keyrings with rsync from keyring.debian.org
Receiving and checking key
pub   1024D/C34AA484 2005-06-03
      Key fingerprint = D77D 6312 932F A19C F9CD  B851 7AFF 4B3A C34A
uid                  Benjamin Seidenberg <benjamin@dlgeek.net>
sig!3        C34AA484 2005-08-03  Benjamin Seidenberg
uid                  Benjamin Seidenberg <astronut@gmail.com>
sig!         C24B6010 2005-07-29  Matthew Danish <mrd@debian.org>
sig!3        C34AA484 2005-06-03  Benjamin Seidenberg
uid                  Benjamin Seidenberg <astronut@dlgeek.net>
sig!3        C34AA484 2005-08-03  Benjamin Seidenberg
sub   2048g/28D17C82 2005-06-03
sig!         C34AA484 2005-06-03  Benjamin Seidenberg

Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

    Applicant writes:
   I'm a senior in high school in North Carolina, US, and am 18 years
old. Next year I will be attending Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. I
first installed GNU/Linux (Red Hat 7.3) in the summer after 7th grade (I
was 13). I spent a month downloading the two ISO images over a dial-up
connection. I wanted Linux because it was supposed to be what all the
people who really knew what they were doing used. I now use Linux for
stability and power. I use windows at school and always find myself
missing the command line, many of the tools, the stability, and the
ability to customize the interface. I switched to Debian after a friend
convinced me of the superiority of it's package management tools, and I
haven't looked back.
   As I used Debian more, I got more interested in the makings. One of
the biggest draws for me was how responsive the developers were. I
really was amazed that the people who made this listened and interacted
with their users. You just don't see this in the proprietary software
world.  I started reading various mailing lists, and following IRC
channels. I decided I wanted to help contribute, but wasn't sure where
to start. A friend of mine is the upstream author of iptstate, and had
released a new version, and the debian maintainer hadn't yet packaged
it. I decided to try to create a package, and followed the New
Maintainer guide. While I was successful, the debian maintainer
obviously continued his own package.
   However, once I had convinced myself I could handle the process, I
skimmed the RFP list and found another package (dav-text) that looked
simple and packaged it. I posted an RFS for it on debian-mentors and
Anibal Monsalve Salazar sponsored it. I then found another package,
graphmonkey by hanging out in #debian-mentors. The upstream author came
in and was asking for someone to package his software, so I agreed.
Anibal also sponsored this package. I then decided to apply for NM,
since I decided I wanted to become a DD. I knew I wasn't ready, but I
also knew how long it took to have an AM assigned, and decided to apply
anyway. I decided I should join a team, but I couldn't find one that
seemed to suit me.
   At one point, I bought an iRiver H10 mp3 player, having heard of how
great iRiver's Linux support was. Silly me. On Linux, you need a custom
tool, EasyH10, to build the databases. It didn't exist in Debian, so I
now had my third package. This is my most active package, and I have a
good relationship with the upstream author. I've contributed several bug
fixes, and he even used my machine to debug an issue I was having,
finding a file descriptor leak. I also wrote a man page for EasyH10,
which nyaochi then edited and shipped upstream.
   A bit after this, my problem with finding a team was solved, as a
team found me. When Sven Muller responded to an email I sent to the
Debian Cyrus Team about their backported version of the Cyrus 2.2
packages, I offered to help and joined the Debian Cyrus team. On the
Cyrus team, I focus on packaging, bug triage, and other debian specific
aspects of the packages. We have recently released 2.2 packages into
unstable, and I'm proud to say I was part of this effort.
   During all this time, I of course contributed in other ways to
Debian, I have filled and helped fix bugs, contributed to mailing lists
and more. I tested a woody -> sarge upgrade, and found a fairly large
bug in the process, and have contributed in other ways as well. I look
forward to becoming a full developer, and being able to participate more

2. Philosophy and Procedures

Benjamin has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and Procedures.
He answered the questions about the Social Contract, the DFSG and our
procedures in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills

Benjamin is maintainer of easyh10, graphmonkey and dav-text. These
packages are sponsored by Anibal Monsalve Salzar. He is also a member of
the Cyrus packaging team. He also answered my other Questions regarding
T&S without problems.

4. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account: astronut
   Forward-Email: astronut@dlgeek.net

Clément Stenac