Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

Voices of discontent:

> I'm also considering withdrawal from the NM process.

> I'll sit here silently and wait for some more weeks/months and watch
> the whole situation until I'll decide to withdraw my application or not.
>
> *disenchanted*

My mood soured too as time went on.

In Debian because power is divided up feudally one person's work is often
blocked by anothers' inactivity.  Non-DDs suffer especially from this.
So participating as a non-DD is frustrating to begin with.

The circumstances of NM exacerbate this a lot.  The applicant is waiting
for the project to pass judgment on her.  Membership is a privilege, not
an entitlement, so the applicant doesn't have any right (except as a
human being with dignity) to expect her application to be dealt with in
a reasonably swift manner.  The applicant can't complain because this
might just make the AM less inclined to help her; because the process is
not transparent the applicant could easily find her application not
making progress.  There is, after all, no time limit.  No one is to
blame for the delays because Debian rejects the traditional idea,
accepted by any normal volunteer organization, that power implies
responsibility (constitution §2.1).

All this does give one reason to reconsider whether one wants to be a
member at all.

There is a difference between how Debian sees itself and what it really is.
--
Thomas Hood