AM report for Charles Fry <debian@frogcircus.org>

Report for new developer applicant Charles Fry <debian@frogcircus.org>

1. Identification & Background
--------------------------------
   Check with key id 0xAA79B91A:

   ID check passed, gpg key signed by at least three DD's:
   duncf, apollock and joshk

   (Partial) output from keycheck.sh AA79B91A
pub   1024D/AA79B91A 2005-06-15 [expires: 2010-10-28]
      Key fingerprint = 9DAC 6903 E857 9CF8 AF72  FD6D 8620 0551 AA79 B91A
uid                  Charles Fry <debian@frogcircus.org>
sig!         6BE69CD0 2005-07-14  Duncan Findlay <duncf@debian.org>
sig!1        A7D91602 2005-07-26  Andrew Pollock <apollock@debian.org>
sig!         78446F26 2005-06-15  Joshua Kwan <joshk@triplehelix.org>

    Applicant writes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> After obtaining a B.S. in Computer Science at Brigham Young University,
> I worked for two years doing distributed systems software development
> for the WhizBang! Labs. When they closed their doors, I worked for two
> years at Carnegie Mellon University where I again developed distributed
> systems software, while pursuing an M.S. in Electrical and Computer
> Engineering. Now I am a full-time Ph.D. student, working with Mike
> Reiter in CMU's ECE Department. My focus is, yet again, distributed
> systems. Unlike most of my colleagues, I am married and we have two
> young daughters, ages three and six; my family is certainly the most
> interesting part of my life, but perhaps less relevant to my work in
> Debian. :-)
>
> Growing up in Wyoming, I never encountered Linux until I got to college.
> I was first introduced to RedHat, and then progressivly worked my way
> through a number of other distributions until I finally found Debian,
> which was a perfect fit for my personality and needs. Since then I have
> longed to contribute in a significant way to Debian, but my
> inexperience and lack of free time successfully foiled these plans until
> this summer when I did an internship in the same room as Joshua Kwan,
> who helped me complete my first set of packages.
>
> The contributions that I have made to Debian so far are primarily
> focused on the introduction of new packages, and the development of
> standard Pear packaging tools and best practices. The new Java package
> which I added to the archive is bouncycastle, a Java cryptography
> library.
>
> The PHP packages which I have added are php-cache-lite, php-pager, and
> php-simpletest. The last of those was initially non-free, but I was able
> to work with upstream to get it released with a more appropriate
> license. These PHP packages are all Pear packages, which were not
> previously handled in a uniform way inside of Debian. I worked with
> those on the debian-webapps mailing list to come to an agreement on best
> packaging practices for PHP Pear packages, which was first integrated
> into dh-make-php, and now into a new CDBS class pear.mk (pending
> acceptance by CDBS).
>
> I also have a small handful of adopted packages, most notably
> libhtml-mason-perl which had previously fallen a bit out of date, as
> well as xasteroids, wmfire, and libclass-container-perl. Finally, I am
> co-maintaining awstats, a package which I long ago filed an ITP for,
> only to lose the package to another developer.
>
> While I am quite interested in ensuring that programs that I use
> regularly are both packaged and well-maintained in Debian, I also would
> like to become more involved with improving some of the common
> development tools. My current ploy is to patch dpatch, adding support
> for standard .patch files, in addition to its custom .dpatch patch
> files. This would facilitate its use with the simple-patchsys of
> [...]

2. Philosophy and Procedures
--------------------------------

  Charles has a good understanding of Debian's Philosophy and Procedures.
  He answered correctly to my questions about the Social Contract, DFSG,
  BTS, etc.

3. Tasks and Skills
--------------------------------
  Charles maintains or co-maintains ten packages in main and contrib,
  including PHP packages (php-pager, php-cache-lite, ...), Perl packages
  (libhtml-mason-perl, libclass-container-perl, awstats) and Java packages
  (libjgrapht-java, bouncycastle(contrib)).

  All his packages are in good shape and bug-free (with the exception of
  awstats, team maintained and which seems to be a bug sink). In addition,
  he has submitted tons of useful bug reports in the two last years.

  Charles answered correctly and quickly to the questions about Tasks and
  Skills.

4. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account: cfry
   Forward-Email: debian@frogcircus.org

--
Isaac Clerencia at Warp Networks, http://www.warp.es