AM Report for Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info>

Report for new developer applicant Alexander Schmehl <alexander@schmehl.info>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x00D8CD16:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from many existing DDs, more than enough.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x00D8CD16

pub   1024D/00D8CD16 2002-09-28
      Key fingerprint = 46CD D292 0692 D5A2 8F81  2E48 0717 74E0 00D8 CD16
uid                  Alexander Schmehl (university) <schmehl@cs.uni-frankfurt.de>
sig!         F0D7D44A 2005-07-17  Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@kaplowitz.org>
sig!         964199E2 2005-07-20  Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>
sig!2        2BE16D01 2003-07-23  Moray Allan <moray@sermisy.org>
sig!         F2CF01A8 2002-10-19  Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
sig!         0A327652 2003-03-18  Thomas Schmidt <tschmidt@debian.org>
sig!         A9FA17FF 2003-03-23  Roland Bauerschmidt (school) <roland@hbg.schule.bremen.de>
sig!         29499F61 2003-07-18  Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
sig!         4743206C 2003-07-18  Joachim Breitner <mail@joachim-breitner.de>
sig!         8807529B 2003-07-19  Guido Trotter <ultrotter@quaqua.net>
sig!         825BEF79 2003-07-23  Mattias Wadenstein <maswan@acc.umu.se>
sig!         EFAA3331 2004-02-16  Dennis Stampfer <seppy@debian.org>
sig!         1245207E 2004-06-30  Jens Schmalzing <jensen@debian.org>
sig!         C3B2FCDE 2004-06-30  Gergely Nagy <algernon@bonehunter.rulez.org>
sig!         A21AD4F9 2004-07-25  Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>
sig!         E0D49E99 2005-03-06  Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>
sig!         52B7487E 2005-07-15  Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse@debian.org>
sig!         98FAA0AD 2005-07-15  Roger So <rogerso@debian.org>
sig!         534584E8 2005-07-15  Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <ajk@debian.org>
sig!         5F6D8015 2005-07-15  Kalle Kivimaa <killer@killeri.net>
sig!         258D8781 2005-07-16  Michael Bramer <michael@debsupport.de>
sig!         8B8D7663 2005-07-16  Andreas Metzler (private key) <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org>
sig!         1E880A84 2005-07-18  Frans Pop (Debian) <aragorn@tiscali.nl>
sig!         39A8CCE2 2005-07-18  Eugeniy Meshcheryakov <eugen@debian.org>
sig!         882A6C4B 2005-07-18  Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
sig!         EA2D2C41 2005-07-18  Mattia Dongili <malattia@linux.it>
sig!         2EDFE670 2005-07-19  Jarno Elonen <elonen@debian.org>
[skipped thousands of lines]
sig!         78446F26 2005-07-16  Joshua Kwan <joshk@triplehelix.org>
sub   1024g/C5F3F285 2002-09-28
sig!         00D8CD16 2002-09-28  Alexander Schmehl (university) <schmehl@cs.uni-frankfurt.de>

Key is ok
Check for key expire stuff
Key has no expiration date set, nothing to check.

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
I don't know exactly, when I first got in contact with Linux.  It must
be somewhere between the release of bo (1997) and hamm (1998) I think.

However:  It was a quiete easy story.  In those days some friends ane me
played often network games.  Since our favourite game "CivNet" crashed
very often, it wasn't that funny it could be.

One of this friend told me about an civilization clone which would need
to install something called "Linux".  (Yes: I first installed Linux to
play freeciv.)  My fist distribution was Red Hat, installed by that
friend.  One week later I forced him to install Debian (I think it was
"bo"), since he changed to Debian GNU/Linux and refused to answer my
questions about "that stinky piece of crab which tries to hide behind an
expensive cap".  Two weeks later I learned that it is highly insecure to
run gpm, when you work mostly as root.  Especially if you suddenly paste
something like "rm -rf /".  Since my friend warned me, to not work as
root and I know how creative he can be when inventing new taunts, I
decided to solve this problem without him, and installed Debian for my
first time with three weeks of Linux experience.  The next two weeks I
didn't touched the System anymore, to recover from that trauma.

But I got curious, who does all that work, and why and how.  I found out
about Free Software, DFSG and what the difference betwenn »free« and

Later I learned to value the possibiltie to fit the system to your
needs, and when I killed my Windows installation a couple of month
later, I didn't care much about it.

So I was a very convenient Debian GNU/Linux User for a while... well...
for a couple of years.  I learned, and startet to help other people via
irc and mailing lists.  Sometimes I submitted a bug report, but I didn't
did much to pay the communitie back, what I got.

I think it was 2001 or maybe 2002, when I noticed, that you where
searching for volunteers to man the booth at the LinuxTag in Karlsruhe,
and I joined the team.  It was quite funny, I learned a lot, and this was
the beginning of my career as the one, who is sometimes called »Debian
Conference and Booth Manager for the German speaking area«.  I travelled
to quite some exhibitions, road shows and conferences to repesent the
Debian Project with running boothes and talking about Debian. Sadly I
didn't had time to write reports about all of them.

Somewhere between that I started some translations to german, some
package descriptions, and later the security howto (of which I must
conceed, that my translation is quite outdated at the moment).

All the times I frequently met people, who suggested to start
NM-process.  But since I was quite busy the last years, I didn't liked
the idea, that I might be unable to react on bugreports / questions /
whatever in a reasonable time.  Since I have more time, I think it's
time to pay something back.

My first package allready got accepted to the debian archive
(tuxracer-extras, adopted from Andreas Tille who is my sponsor and
advocat, too).  Looking at the wnpp list, there are some packages, I
whish to take a look at (e.g. the orphaned xfce4 plugins).  In any case
I will continue to travell to exhibitons and conferences to represent
Debian, allthough it is often very stressfull, it is allways funny.

Once someone in our Linux User Group said to me, that I can explain
quite good, I should write a book. Since that I plan to write some kind
of "newbie guide to debian including some understandable explanations
how all that computer thingies work) or something similar (of course in
my native language - you allready discovered that my english is not as
good as it could be).

And finally a little bit about me personly: Born 1978 in Frankfurt /
Germany, three sisters, started playing ... hmm ... using computers with
four (an old sinclait QL, which is still somewhere in my fathers
cellar).

Now student of Computer Sciences (subsidiary subjects philosphy) at the
university of Frankfurt, member of different administration boards at
the university.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Alex has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Alex is Maintainer of ppracer and tuxracer, all Packages in Debian.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I need to add that he is doing a lot of good work for Debian outside
   the "package" world, like organizing many events/booths for us.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:       tolimar
   Forward-Email: alexander@schmehl.info

--
bye Joerg
<aj> vorlon: would it be less subtle if we replaced red, green and