Re: Waiting for account creation by DAM

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 05:21:29PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@kobold.it> writes:
>
> > 29/04/2005, 20.49 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow:
> >> James is traveling in australia currently. Till Monday??? Not much
> >> longer afaik.
> >
> > Does this mean that I'll have my account created soon? Why the NM has a
>
> It only means it won't be created before then.
>
> > bottleneck if James is busy? [1] Is there something that I can do to
> > have my account created (or rejected) soon instead of waiting for weeks
> > (or months)? [2]
>
> The account creation and adding your key to the debian keyring is a
> very serious step as it opens all kinds of doors for you. It is
> tightly controled who can update it at all and even more tightly who
> should/will update it.
>
> Namely that is just James who will do it. Yes it is a horribly tight
> bottleneck. Just be happy. until very recently James had to approve
> you too and that took even longer.

You'd think that after a decade, including a royally f$&*#( NM process
for at least half that time, we might manage to trust a second or third
person, but no one with the least bit of ability to change the situation
will barely even engage in discussion, let alone attempt to remidy the
situation.  It isn't like there aren't capable, willing folks
well-connected enough on the web of trust.

Even the newly appointed "DAM" (Debian ACCOUNTS MANAGER) has
retroactively redefined his role to be advisory only, leaving the
process still bottlenecked on the same single person.  One who is
employed full-time by a derivitive distribution that's making large
gains in popularity in large part because of Debian's stagnation,
incidentally. *

All I can tell you is there are people "on the inside" too that also
actually recognize how screwed up situation is too, i.e.
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2005/03/msg00338.html>, and that,
hopefully, we'll see change sooner rather than later.

Unlike the other bottlenecks within Debian, the people getting the shaft
in the NM process aren't developers yet, and due to the "exa effect",
for the most part tend to genuflect and meekly tiptoe around the
discussion rather than push back, because they think (warrented or not)
that making any noise about it will jeparodize their NM applications.

And when folks do finally get their accounts, they don't, for the most
part, bother looking back and trying to change the situation.  Hell, I
know I didn't until the extra work of sponsoring packages for folks
_more_ than ready enough to have their own accounts for six months
became a royal pain in the ass.

* I personally don't think James has any actual evil intentions, but
between holding up NM _and_ the NEW queue, the conflict-of-interest is
big enough to drive a truck through.  Oh, and the timing of holding up a
pile of "approved" NM applications until after the DPL vote stinks like
rotten fish.

--
Ivan Kohler
ivan@debian.org