Re: Proposed question topics

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org> writes:

> Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:
>> 7. library packaging
>>
>>    I'd like to see some more questions about library packaging, since it
>>    can be very tricky and many people, including existing developers,
>>    make mistakes with it.  In particular sonames, shlibs,
>>    ${shlibs:Depends}, dpkg-shlibdeps, and especially proper use of
>>    dh_makeshlibs.
>
> NACK. Not all DDs want to package C libs. I've removed the old W3
> question (difference between -Bsymbolic and symbol versioning) from my
> local templates because of that.

Likewise, I've made that a "bonus" question in my templates and if the
applicant doesn't know the answer, I just give it to them without
forcing the issue.

However, I do think it's important all maintainers have a basic
understanding of libraries, since virtually all packages out there make
use of a library in some way.  I wouldn't expect applicants to be
experts and to give perfect answers, but I do think we should work
through library packaging a bit with them.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!