AM report on Torsten Marek

Report for new developer applicant Torsten Marek

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0xA244C858:
   ID Check passed, Key signed by 26 existing developers.

   Applicant writes:

| I started using various flavours of Linux back in the old
| millennium, all with varying success and all for a limited time span
| only, mostly because I could not adapt from several years of using
| of (err, mostly gaming on) Windows or new hardware broke something
| in my install. In 2001, I finally switched to SuSE Linux. Having
| learned to program before (a bit of C, a bit of C++, too much of
| Visual Basic), I soon started to write my own programs. Eventually,
| I fell in love with Python, a bond that still holds today.
|
| [...]
|
| In 2003, after I got used to what Debian does different and becoming
| an apt-get junkie, I started packaging software (for practice, fun &
| own usage). In the summer, I first thought about applying at Debian,
| but several major flamewars in debian-devel made me think whether I
| really want to put effort and time into Debian. Eventually, I quit
| reading debian-devel and got back to work.  I started packaging
| eric.
|
| As a programmer, I strongly believe in free software - most of my
| projects would not have been possible without it at all. As a user,
| I like tuning my own workspace to my personal needs (the
| much-dreaded freedom *of* choice, not only *from* choice). As for
| Debian, I like the development model and the architecture of the
| system, that makes a lot of issues many people have (just one:
| "Please no external dependencies!  External dependencies are bad")
| complete non-issues.  The effort to make nearly every package to
| behave in a standard-compliant way is, in my eyes, even more
| important and makes Debian stand out (although I'm not one of the
| Linuxers that have used some fifty distros and turn back to Windows
| or Slackware all the time, so I can't impress with experience here).
|
| For the near future in Debian (apart from my prepared packages), I'd
| like to package some more software like nltk, the Natural language
| toolkit for Python, which combines Python (my hobby) with
| computational linguistics (my studies) and help out with/create a
| group for packaging 0install resp. rox & the like.  Furthermore, I'm
| sure to be found where Python is involved, both for packaging and
| programming new tools.

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Torsten has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

   `qscintilla' and `sip4-qt3' together with Ricardo Javier Cardenes
   Medina.
   All these packages are in etch and sid currently, and are in good
   shape.

   His sponsors are quite satisfied with his skills.

   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S without problems.

3a. Advocate is writing (DAM)
-----------------------------
  Torsten was advocated by Rogerio Reis <rvr@debian.org>.  He writes:

|  After the creation of debian package of eric, Torstem wrote me stating
|  that he had already made a version of a debian package for eric himself.
|  I examined the package and it was in perfect conditions to be included
|  in the distribution. I think that he is more than ready to become a
|  debian developer.

3b. Personal comment about Applicant (DAM)
   It was nice to work with Torsten on his application.  He seems to
   have a firm grip of Debian procedures, a thorough python background
   and ok people skills.  I think he will make a fine debian developer.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account: shlomme@d.o

--
Kind regards,
| Bas Zoetekouw              | GPG key: 0644fab7                     |