Re: Idea for maintaining packages up for adoption

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:02:26AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> The suggestion I made is the following : let's co-maintain all those
> packages on alioth (with Subversion) ! We'd give access to any outsider
> who has a patch ready to be applied... all the packages could be built
> automatically and sometimes the outsider could ask for a "sponsor
> upload" to update it in the main archive.

I think you are mixing two things here that should not be mixed,
sponsoring non-DDs and handling orphaned packages. Either a package
has a maintainer (even it is not a DD) who takes the responsibility
for keeping track of its bugs and updates or it has not.

The idea of setting up a general sponsoring alioth project where
some DDs try to sponsor people even for packages they don't care about
(otherwise they would probably already sponsor the possible maintainer)
is interesting and that could definetly work.

On the other hand trying to coordinate the maintainance of orphaned
packages more is certainly a good idea, too (even though I don't think
there is a real need for this currently).

But we should _not_ mix packages that have a maintainer and those that
have not.

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>