Re: NM status: separate DAM approval and account creation?

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 04:53:56PM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> Obviously, having an account makes it easier to upload packages and do some
> (few) other things, and obivously, having -private access and vote
> privileges is a part of being in the Debian crew, but these things don't
> prevent you from working on Debian.
>
> In my case, having now received my account, it won't change much in the way
> I contribute to Debian - I'll go on as before except that I now have to ask
> twice as nicely for somebody to look over my packages because I don't have
> the excuse of not being able to upload ;-)

With > a year waiting time to become a developer, the maintainer of a
package is likely to ask several times for sponsored uploads of new upstream
version of his/her same package(s). Comments on the first packaging of some
software are most helpful and - analogous to kernel patches - I am
likely to continue asking my peers for comments prior to upload once I
am accepted. With quite some packages in Debian already, though, the
number of new upstream versions to go through a sponsoring becomes a
burden. Maybe more importantly, the extra efforts annoy the sponsors,
that do not even have a say in the NM process beyond initial advocation.

My way around this is to delay uploads whenever possible. Newer versions
do not make it to my sponsors unless somebody complains or I find the
upstream change of particular importance. Little changes to the packages I
will not do untill I am accepted. I do not need a full account, really. I
do not even need to do NMUs or the upload of novel packages.

Since my response time to requests particularly in the BTS is something
the DAM evaluates for my acceptance, my behaviour may be a bit
counterproductive. It should not be too bad, though. I am fairly
certain that Debian will develop something like a first- and second-class
developer system to increase productivity. In a way we have this already
(DAM, FD, ...). And I do not regard this as negative at all.

Many greetings

Steffen