AM report for Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>

Report for new developer applicant Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
   Check with Keyid 0x1E880A84:

   ID Check passed, gpg key signed by at least three DD's:
 jeroen, markos and aba

   (Partial) output from keycheck.sh 1E880A84
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pub   1024D/1E880A84 2003-03-10
      Key fingerprint = ED6F 9504 FD4E 539A 8279  616B 826F CAC2 1E88 0A84
uid                  Frans Pop (Debian) <aragorn@tiscali.nl>
sig!3        0813569F 2004-09-26  Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl>
sig!3        515F9B74 2004-10-14  Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@debian.org>
sig!3        EC36A185 2004-11-16  Andreas Barth (Debian Key) <aba@debian.org>

   Applicant writes:
   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> I'm 38 and have a degree in business information technology at university
> level (but that was a long time ago). Computers have always been a hobby
> for me (starting with the Sinclair ZX80). I'm currently working as a
> free-lance application consultant, nursing an administration system in
> it's final year for an insurance company (Cobol/IDMS :-P on an IBM
> mainframe).

> I got started with linux mainly because I got bored with not being able to
> look "under the hood" anymore with Windows. Having only some very basic
> Unix experience from a job where they had a Dec Ultrix machine, the
> beginning was a challenge.
> By chance I started in the right place with Debian Slink. I have tried
> some other distros since, but always got into trouble with their
> configuration management systems. The clear packaging in Debian, and the
> fact that I was forced to read manpages to get the configuration right
> made Debian somehow more accessible.

> I'm currently involved in the debian-installer project. My main focus is
> the manual (coordination and translation into Dutch), but I've also
> contributed some patches to the installer itself and done a lot of
> installation tests.

> My goals as a developer? Give something back to the community and have fun
> doing it. My plans are to keep working on the installer and, as I use KDE
> quite heavily and like it, help out there (they tell me they can use some
> help doing bug triage).
> And who knows what else...

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------

   Frans has a good understanding of Debian's Philosophy and Procedures.
   He has answered correctly to the questions about the Social Contract, DFSG,
   BTS, etc.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Frans Pop is one of the few core Debian Installer developers.
   He is the coordinator for the D-I manual, and the daily builds for it are
   created in one of his machines. He also extended the D-I manual build
   system to generate PDF and text output.

   Besides the manual he has also contributed patches for several D-I
   components and he is processing lots of user installation reports.

   Joey Hess (joeyh) and Christian Perrier (bubulle) work with him in D-I and
   consider that he is doing an excellent work there.

   He has also translated several Debian documents to Dutch, including several
   po-debconf templates and a considerable part of the D-I manual.

   Frans answered other questions about T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:       fjp
   Forward-Email: aragorn@tiscali.nl

--
Isaac Clerencia <isaac@debian.org>