AM report for Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>

Report for new developer applicant Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>:

1. Identification & Background
   Check with Keyid 0x1E880A84:

   ID Check passed, gpg key signed by at least three DD's:
 jeroen, markos and aba

   (Partial) output from keycheck.sh 1E880A84
pub   1024D/1E880A84 2003-03-10
      Key fingerprint = ED6F 9504 FD4E 539A 8279  616B 826F CAC2 1E88 0A84
uid                  Frans Pop (Debian) <aragorn@tiscali.nl>
sig!3        0813569F 2004-09-26  Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl>
sig!3        515F9B74 2004-10-14  Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@debian.org>
sig!3        EC36A185 2004-11-16  Andreas Barth (Debian Key) <aba@debian.org>

   Applicant writes:
> I'm 38 and have a degree in business information technology at university
> level (but that was a long time ago). Computers have always been a hobby
> for me (starting with the Sinclair ZX80). I'm currently working as a
> free-lance application consultant, nursing an administration system in
> it's final year for an insurance company (Cobol/IDMS :-P on an IBM
> mainframe).

> I got started with linux mainly because I got bored with not being able to
> look "under the hood" anymore with Windows. Having only some very basic
> Unix experience from a job where they had a Dec Ultrix machine, the
> beginning was a challenge.
> By chance I started in the right place with Debian Slink. I have tried
> some other distros since, but always got into trouble with their
> configuration management systems. The clear packaging in Debian, and the
> fact that I was forced to read manpages to get the configuration right
> made Debian somehow more accessible.

> I'm currently involved in the debian-installer project. My main focus is
> the manual (coordination and translation into Dutch), but I've also
> contributed some patches to the installer itself and done a lot of
> installation tests.

> My goals as a developer? Give something back to the community and have fun
> doing it. My plans are to keep working on the installer and, as I use KDE
> quite heavily and like it, help out there (they tell me they can use some
> help doing bug triage).
> And who knows what else...

2. Philosophy and Procedures

   Frans has a good understanding of Debian's Philosophy and Procedures.
   He has answered correctly to the questions about the Social Contract, DFSG,
   BTS, etc.

3. Tasks and Skills
   Frans Pop is one of the few core Debian Installer developers.
   He is the coordinator for the D-I manual, and the daily builds for it are
   created in one of his machines. He also extended the D-I manual build
   system to generate PDF and text output.

   Besides the manual he has also contributed patches for several D-I
   components and he is processing lots of user installation reports.

   Joey Hess (joeyh) and Christian Perrier (bubulle) work with him in D-I and
   consider that he is doing an excellent work there.

   He has also translated several Debian documents to Dutch, including several
   po-debconf templates and a considerable part of the D-I manual.

   Frans answered other questions about T&S without problems.

4. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:       fjp
   Forward-Email: aragorn@tiscali.nl

Isaac Clerencia <isaac@debian.org>