Re: New Front Desk members

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:58:17PM +0100, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:

> By the way. Could we please use "gender" in db.debian.org?

As long as we're on the topic of language and usage, I should point
out that gender is properly a property of words.  People don't have
gender - people have sex (if you'll pardon the double-entendre).

Ok, ok, this is changing, and the misuse of the word "gender" to mean
"sex" is widespread enough that it's probably considered acceptable
these days.  But it just strikes me as annoying and prudish.  (Plus, I
like saying "words have gender, people have sex.")  :)

Anyway, I don't object to the idea in principle, as long as it's
optional.  I think some people might think that their sex is
irrelevant to their role as DD, and thus, nobody's business.

> This way we could also simply check how many women is involved in
> Debian project ;)

Or, at least, how many people in the project are willing to claim to
be women. :)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single