AM Report for Sylvain le Gall

Report for new developer applicant Sylvain le Gall:

   I recommend to accept Sylvain le Gall as new Developer of the Debian
   Project. I was AM for the second part; everything including P&P was
   done by Rene.

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0xFB0DFE9B

   ID Check passed, Key signed by at least one existing Debian Developer.

   pub  1024D/FB0DFE9B 2003-01-30 Sylvain LE GALL <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org>
        Key fingerprint = ECF0 A05D A5D0 40B5 82BB  8A2C 8ABD 9BA1 FB0D FE9B
	sig!        5DF03167 2003-07-14   Jerome Marant <jmarant@nerim.net>
	sig!3       E0BA04C1 2003-06-05   Ralf Treinen <treinen@debian.org>
	sig!3       F2C423BC 2003-06-09   Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@bononia.it>
	sig!3       03F35988 2003-06-13   Xavier Roche <roche@httrack.com>
	sig!        29499F61 2003-06-15   Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org>
	sig!3       9AACBFB8 2003-05-26   Christophe Le Bars <clebars@debian.org>

   Also, his is a version 4 key and thus valid according to the definition for
   new keys in the Debian keyring.

   Applicant writes:

   --8<-------------------------------------------------------->8---
   Actually i am 25 years old. I am french and i have studied for the 4
   last years at Ecole Polytechnique and ENST in Paris. I am a programmer.

   I begin to be interested in computer science when i was 7 years old...
   But i did not understand anything, my first try was only to play games
   and try to break the password on my father's computer ( i don't remember
   if i succeed ). I begin to program by just copying program from a
   book...

   I begin with a Macintosh, then a Amstrad PC 1512. I bought my first
   computer in 1993... I begin to play with programmation and MS DOS (
   Quick Basic / ASM on DOS 6.22 Win 3.11 ). I try Turbo Pascal and Borland
   C++. I stay for a long time on Borland C++, Delphi and Power Builder. In
   1998 i give a try to a redhat. At this time, i was not able to
   understand all the concept lying behind GNU/Linux and the try was short.
   I switch back to Win 98. In 2000, i meet some guies who use Debian
   Linux. They explain me the philosophy of Free Software and i give a try
   to Suse. I was very happy with it. It only takes me a long time to made
   all my hardware to work with Suse. I finally find my way in the Linux
   Kernel to made all my hardware work, when after a upgrade of my Suse,
   she never wakes up...

   And then comes debian. There was a mirror at my school, i download the
   first CD. Install it and it was the beginning of the disappearance of
   all other OSes from my computer. It is about two year that i don't use
   anymore Windows.

   The reason i came to debian and free software is the essence of the free
   software ( to my mind ) : open source and free right to use. Open
   source from my point of view is something NECESSARY. Nobody can ever
   become a good programmer, without reading the code of other people...
   The free right to use is also something very interesting. I was tired of
   trying to get "illegal" crack et al. I was not at ease with this sort of
   permanent outlaw... Debian is indeed the best choice for a programmer.

   If i am accepted in Debian, i will try to give a hand to the Debian
   Ocaml Task Force. I found that Ocaml is a great programming language and
   Debian is one of the better distribution which support it. I want to
   package library and program to make student use debian ( trying to
   develop ocaml application as a student with debian is easy... compared
   to developping the same under windows, redhat or something like that ).
   I think making the life of computer science student easier is a part of the
   Social Contract. Moreover, i write my self some programs ( in order to
   integrate some of my package in debian ) and i give it back to the
   upstream ( mldonkey contains 3 programs to manage mldonkey files with
   debconf ).
   --8<-------------------------------------------------------->8---

   Searching Google for him returns his savannah membership (where he is
   member since 2002-11-21, and working with two OCaml-groups), and some
   discussions about OCaml, and code written by him.

   His advocate, Stefano Zacchiroli (zack), writes:

   | Sylvain has done a great job packaging mldonkey. He got in touch with
   | upstream proposing patches and also wrote from scratch a set of tools
   | (written in OCaml) to better interact with mldonkey. He has also
   | promptly performed the modifications I suggest to him on the package.
   |
   | I think he can do a lot for debian mainly, but not limited to, for the
   | efforts related to maintaining OCaml related programs and libraries.

2. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------

   This check was done by Rene, and Sylvain passed it without real problems.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------

   He answered my questions regarding T&S without real problems.

   Sylvain is maintainer of a lot of packages. I selected three of them,
   headache, mtink and unison, for my review. I found some small glitches,
   but no major problems, and the glitches are pending for fixing, or are
   already fixed now.

4. Account information
----------------------

   Preferred account name: gildor
   Address to forward E-Mails to: sylvain@le-gall.net

5. Attachments

   GPG Key with ID 0xFB0DFE9B

   Recommendation of the advocate and logs of the discussions with applicant.
   [only in the version for DAM/FD]

Cheers,
Andi
--