Re: Please review and maybe comment on this text

On 10133 March 1977, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

>> the Debian Archive, without any risk to break something with their
>> packages or the Debian archive itself. This is not intended as
>> another check for the applicant to make their life hard.
> While I think it's a good idea to give applicants a chance to get
> hands-on experience with the tools, I don't think this should be a
> required part and therefore think it shouldn't be commited to the
> standard templates.

Its not intended to be a required part for everyone, no.

> However, I suggest you put it in CVS as a separate file so people can
> use it if they want.

Yep.  Will do that in the next days.

> In fact, you might want to use this opportunity
> to split some of the more insane questions off from the standard
> template and put them in separate files.  This way, AMs have a set of
> core templates and then can choose from optional templates if they
> want.

Hmmm. Could be done, yes. But not from me at the moment, maybe after
christmas.

>> not left without any knowledge how to upload packages after you got
>                                                  s/got/get/ (or will get)
> [although this suggests that everyon will necessilary get an account if
> they are approved by their AM]

So i wrote "maybe get" now. :)
Rest added to my text, thanks.

> The interesting question is whether applicants will get SSH access so
> they can also play with tools like madison.  Although I suppose they
> could just use madison-lite on their machines.

I think about using a vserver based host for it, so I can let the users
access it via ssh without trusting them. Well, AMs are asked to only
give them access after the ID check passed, but noone should
consider this archive sane/secure. :)

I also think about a small email-interface for the AMs who want their
NMs to use it. Something like "Send a signed mail to address X with the
keyid somewhere in the body and that id is allowed. Add word remove and its
removed. (Rejects for example)." Maybe the remove should be synced with
the NM database (for removes and account creations).
AMs simply ask me for access to this interface to get it.
Host will be dak.ganneff.de then, but its not up yet.
Comments?

There is also the possibility to add some autobuilders for this
stuff. Cant be that hard to setup, at least dak was easy. :)
For the real feeling you get with a "failed" on $obscure_arch :)

--
bye Joerg
Linus: "Wenn Darl McBride die Macht hätte, würde er wahrscheinlich die