Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 03:12:51AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> [I am not subscribed to -newmaint.]
>
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:15:37PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
> > Hello Brian,
> >
> > * Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> [2004-08-09 12:58]:
> > > It can be really tough to test NM's who are not native English speakers
> > > about licensing issues.  Legal text is very different from colloquial
> > > English, and non-native speakers are often completely overwhelmed.
> > > Hell, even native speakers have difficulty understanding licenses like
> > > the graphviz license.
> >
> > oh thats what i like to say too. read my emails :)
>
> I certainly agree.  The thrust of my comments was to make sure NMs
> understand that licensing issues are often difficult, and that if one isn't
> prepared to wrestle with them oneself, one needs to place more trust in
> one's peers who do.
>
> I am dismayed and exasperated by the recent trend of bashing the
> debian-legal list collectively, particularly when it comes from people who
> don't participate in its discussions.  Maybe there is some sort of "Real
> Hackers Don't Need Debian-Legal" elitism going on; maybe it's just good
> old-fashioned fear of what one doesn't understand.

Maybe it is just that most people don't have the vaste amount of time to lose
that is involved in following and participating in debian-legal, and have the
feeling that it is invariably those who have the most time to lose whose
opinion is finally adopted by debian-legal, and thus distrust them ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther