Re: Suggestions of David Nusinow, was: RPSL and DFSG-compliance - choice of venue

Hi.

Brian Nelson wrote:
> It can be really tough to test NM's who are not native English speakers
> about licensing issues.  Legal text is very different from colloquial
> English, and non-native speakers are often completely overwhelmed.
> Hell, even native speakers have difficulty understanding licenses like
> the graphviz license.
IMO (and I'm not a native speaker of English and Daniel Silverstone as
my AM had to go for some clarifications in my P&P as well as the T&S),
most of the licenses can be understood fairly well even by foreigners
after some careful reading. After all, there's some logic to them and
I'd prefer prospective packagers to have the ability to deal with such
problems.
I may not like the fact, but I do believe that a certain level of
English proficiency is a prerequisite for successful contributions to
Debian as a developer. (In fact, while I'm all for translation and
localization, I don't think much of translating developer docs.)

Kind regards

Thomas
--
Thomas Viehmann, <http://thomas.viehmann.net/>